Thursday, July 14, 2011

May 1

So I have been promising for awhile now to blog about some of the special days in B that passed.  The first one I wanted to blog about was May 1.  Sort of like our Labor Day.  During communist times this was an official holiday and everyone had the day off.  May 1 was the celebration of the right to work and the communist party organized a rally.  This day celebrated workers, intellectuals, and students who took part in this ralley.   Today, after communist rule, this is still a big holiday but organized in bigger towns in B.  For some people this is a communist holiday and they choose not to celebrate/recognize this day.  However, the idea for this day came from/started in the states and is on all the United Nations calanders.  *Now is when I have to thank Dani Adamova and Ivan Hristov from the Peace Corps staff and Brian Fassett.  They authored and illustrated the workbook where I got this information, and most information on the special days in B.  So, thanks!*  Today it is 93* and I certainly understand why everyone stays inside and takes a break from the day between the hours of about 12:30 and 4!  I have decided to write the English School students so they can have some English practice over the summer if they want and just sent the last of the letters to the students not from here this morning.  I still have about 20 to go but am cheating a little.  I have 3 different letters and I copy those so it's not as much work as it sounds like.  Oh!  I may have to skip tomorrow's blog.  I have been invited to a wedding; all I have to do now is find a ride!  Think I may have found one and if that's the case will be leaving before my normal, what's normal??, time to do my blog.  Love and hugs and happy Independence Day Jean-Philippe and any other French people reading this!!  Go figure, I come to B and find out today is the national day for France!  Just like July 4th is for the states and September 22 is for Bulgaria.

No comments:

Post a Comment