Thursday, March 15, 2012

BNES

This is the 2nd year for the Bulgarian National English Spelling Bee.  In it's first year, last year, the spelling bee was extremely successful and this year there are more schools than last year.  I have been a very lax volunteer and did not help out last year and, since it's for 4th-7th grades and the school I work primarily with is 8-12th grades, wasn't planning on doing much this year.  However, there is a school about 15-20 minutes away that is taking part and they are without a PC volunteer, so I was asked to lend my native tongue (and knowledge of spelling bees...the very little that I have) to their school.  Then last night I was asked by one of our students' friends to come to their village and help.  I am glad to help (makes me feel useful) BUT have to find a way to get there!  So I'm taking a round-about way to get there tomorrow, going to a place I've only been for 5 minutes (and then didn't get out of the car I was riding in), and meeting people I've never met before.  (That sounds a little familiar to me: I just reread that!)  Again, I'm not quite sure what to attribute this to (age? the fact that I'm in Bulgaria? not sure) but I'm not worried.  I even reassured MY MOM...that's a first I think!   She asked me if someone was going to meet me at the bus stop and I said "mom, there's one school I'm sure and if I don't see it when I get off the bus I can ask anyone and they will tell me."  Besides, in all honesty someone will probably meet me, (B is much better than the states in my opinion at meeting and sending guests) even if they have to have another teacher cover their class to do it; that's the B culture and very respectful.  So I'm not exactly sure what I'm in for tomorrow but I will find out!  The last 2 days here have been boardering on Spring-like...and then today got cold again.  One of the students said he was going to make a snowman; I think it did snow for about 5 minutes today.  That's about it for today.  Love and hugs from here!!  Enjoy the weekend!!  And Aunt Jan, you generally want to stay away from fire ants!  Hope you get better soon!!  UPDATE:  it is now Friday and I did not go to the other village.  We misunderstood each other; she was asking for another Friday and not today.  

No comments:

Post a Comment