Tuesday, June 19, 2012

I need a car???

I will leave B, with my mother in tow, July 29th.  Because of this and the fact that this has been my home for 2+ years I'm sure I will be experiencing many emotions and will be missing quie a bit of B when I get back to the states.  One of the things I will really miss when I return to the states is the fact that I can't walk everywhere.  I realize this seems trivial and it is in relation to the other things I will miss, but it's very true!  I can walk from one end of town to the other in probably about 20 minutes and everything I need (the basic necessities) is in there somewhere.  Where I live in the states I can walk to the nearest 7-11 but it would take me much longer than 20 minutes and is a lot more expensive than a regular store for food; Kroger for instance.  And if I want to go into a bigger town or city I jump on a bus or call Tzetzo the taxi driver.  Of course he comes from the next town over because we don't have one but that's ok.  Yes it's true that I have to coordinate with the bus schedule when I want to ride but I don't mind that either; I have gotten to know the bus drivers (like I said, I stand out from the "normal" B. person) and chat with them.  Every morning, or at least the mornings I go in to school, I walk to the English school and home when I leave for the day.  If I need to see Nargis about something, I walk to her house.  When I'm getting low on food in the house I walk to the magazine (store); and now all I have to do is walk outside my building and there is one right there, at the bottom of my building!  Of course I try to shop at all the closer food magazines.  And walking is exercise!  I don't speed walk or anything but it is a way to exercise that I don't get when I drive.  I'm not sure what to think when I get behind the wheel for the first time after 27 months of no driving.  I would like to say it'll come back to me but, since this is the first time I've gone 27 months without driving besides when I first learned how, I don't have anything with which to compare.  Along with not being able to walk everywhere, I will miss seeing non-motorized vehicles on the road; donkey/horse carts.  Tomorrow is the special English test for the 8th graders at special English schools; not exactly sure about other special schools.  I wish them luck!  Love and hugs from me!

No comments:

Post a Comment