Tuesday, June 5, 2012

what I will miss.

So I was thinking last night about how today was blog day and I was trying to think about what to write.  I think I decided something as the 10:00 evening  call to prayer sounded; I'm done with the new and different things that I've written about before.  I'm leaving the country I have called home for the past 27 (25 as of now) months in July; now's about thoughts and feelings; saying goodbye stuff.  There are so many reasons why I love this country and the same number and more things (and people)  I will miss about this country when I leave.  Last night reminded me of one; granted it's not a deep and sappy thing but something I will have to remind myself over and over won't happen, at least around where I live in Indianapolis, when I return to the States.  The Call to Prayer.   I live in a Muslim community; the Jimea is on the corner (that seems funny to say.)  Five times a day I hear it.  It took ome getting used to when I first got here in July 2010, but now I don't think twice about "what is that" or "man that's loud!"  It's a fact I have come to live with and have visited several times.  I have experienced the reading of The Koran and seen "na mass" (the ritual of the praying) being observed and even was given some prayer beads.  I will never forget the first, I think it was the first, time I went.  Nargis was with me, I use her for her Turkish-just kidding, and I noticed Samet, the Imam, leaning very, very close to The Koran while reading.  I said something to N about this and asked about glasses and his sight.  There are many things she has said that I won't forget but this struck me and made me think "Lisa, DUH!  What were you thinking?"  She looked at me and without even stopping to think said "he doesn't need to see; God/Allah (and the words) is in here" and she tapped her heart.  You know when you say something and someone answers you and you want to come back but are left with no words, you are speechless?  It was one of those times.  Anyway, along with the call to prayer I also get the "dog call to prayer."  All the dogs start howling and singing along with the announcement of na mass.  It's kinda funny!  That is something too I have just learned to deal with and accept as part of life here.  When I leave it will take some time getting used to the fact that that won't happen (again, in my part of the States).  Today is another warm one; yesterday I even felt some humidity!  It gets hot here but usually the humidity isn't bad so the heat is bearable (for me).  Today is my step-fathers birthday and I wish him a very happy birthday!!  He and my mom are traveling out West now in their conversion van and I think they are in Nevada today.  Wherever you are have a very good birthday and very safe travels!!  Love you!  Love and hugs from me!

No comments:

Post a Comment