Thursday, September 16, 2010

i'm back!

ALRIGHT ALL, i'm back from my travels and ready to start work...well sort of.  at our pdm workshop for the corps we learned how to start projects.  like i said before i found myself wanting more hours in the day!  there's so much i want to do and by the time my actual "job" gets done i have very little time left for anything extra.  we shall see!!  then myself and 5 other volunteers put on a camp for roma children in the mountains.   i got to see the mountains again and it was very refreshing!  we played games like 4 square and water bottle bowling, had the kids outline themselves on paper, draw different characteristic of themselves, and then show their picture to the group and describe it.  we also played a lot of basketball, soccer, and some frisbee.  the last day we had ice cream.   anything organized is pretty much a big hit.  i have to say probably the best part of the camp and our time in the mountains was getting to kno my fellow volunteers better.  that and apple pie.  we went to dinner the last night and katie, our experienced volunteer, told us beforehand the restaurant had apple pie but it was important we take it forwhat it was and not compare it to our mom's apple pie.  I WAS ON CLOUD NINE!!! i shared a piece with another volunteer but we both agreed afterwards we both could've had our own pieces!  then, the next am, it was time to return to our homes.  i had looked at the bus schedules, the first part of the journey i traveled with another volunteer, and gotten the times for a town close to me and was all set to catch the bus at 4pm.  when i asked the lady at the bus station where the ticket counter was for where i was going she replied "nama"" which means "there isn't one" or "no bus."  i really surprised myself when i didn't freak out and instead casually asked if there was a bus to another bigger town close to me.  as luck would have it ther was a bus leaving about 20 minutes from then and so i hurried and bought a ticket and started the 5 hr journey close to home.  come to find out that there was no bus from where i was going to home.  Oops!!  everything turned out fine though b/c nargis and her husband came and picked me up.  they even brought me a little dinner!  how nice of them!  i really can't believe i didn't freak out! God must've been with me and helped me to act so calm!!  anyway i'm back and nw gearing up to teach myself how to teach English so i can start my classes.  i know a little more Bulgarian than i did Spanish when i tried to teach English before, not sure if that will help me though!  i'll try to remember to post some pics tom of the last 2 wks.   leka nosht!

No comments:

Post a Comment