Thursday, April 19, 2012

are we there yet??

Around the end of March some students and teachers from the English school and I went into a city closeby to visit a display about the 3rd of March, Bulgaria's Liberation Day.  Since there were about 30 of us we took a bus and during the trip I heard something interesting.  I'm not quite sure why it was interesting; I had just never thought of it before.  You know how on long trips stuck in the car sometimes people sing to pass the time?  All of a sudden from my seat towards the front of the bus I heard singing coming from the back of the bus.  It brought a little smile to my face [even though I didn't know what in the heck they were singing.  I thought about starting the ever popular around this time "chaeg ima ball" (this is the graduation chant which means "chaeg", my school, "ima ball", will have a graduation,) but was too late] as I remembered all the times as a little kid stuck in a long car ride my family and I would sing to make the trip go faster.  Listening that day I found it a little refreshing.  There are diffeences in the B and American cultures but there are similarities as well; children and adults singing to pass the time in the car (or bus) is one similarity that is cross-cultural!  My English class for adults here has started up again on Thursday nights at the school.  The weather has been nice and Spring like, almost summer sometimes, and then yesterday and today, so far, a cold wind along with chilly temperatures arrived. OH YEAH!  I saw a stork!  I have to admit what I THOUGHT was a stork, and I blogged about how"the stork looks nothing like the stork that brings the babies", wasn't a stork so I'm sorry for that.  It looks exactly like the stork that brings the babies.  I guess after the 23rd of March, or 22nd, people take their martinitzas off anyway AND they can either be put on a fruit-bearing tree OR under a rock.  Under the rock is new to me and I didn't so much see the stork myself as Dani, my host "mom", pointed it out to me.  On the bus to go see Jez (before Varshets) I met some people who wanted to practice English.  They noticed I still was wearing my martinitzas and tried to point storks out to me, I just never saw them!  That's about it from a chilly and windy here!!  Love and hugs from me!!

No comments:

Post a Comment