Thursday, April 26, 2012

A different kind of "first"

My family in the states is awesome!  Not only do they support me being here 100% and send me letters of encouragement, they keep me supplied with my favorite things from the states and other goodies as well.  One of the biggest reasons I'm here is to share "my" America (as well as try to end the "Marilyn Manroe" stereotype of American women).  One of the first things I do when I get a package from the States (after tearing it open and being so amazed at the generosity of my family) is share things from my Am family with my B family.  One time after a package I gave a granola bar, I think, to my neighbor Ivan (pretty sure he's in his 50s,- now that I'm 40 I have a much harder time with ages!) and he said "this is the first Am thing I've had."  I have to say that made me feel proud, both to be able to do that for him and that it was me who did it.  Along these same lines not long after I got to this town 2 years ago I was told I was the first Am ever in my town.  WOW!  That is HUGE and again makes me proud!  I consider it an honor and a privilege.   Put yourself in my shoes; what a sense of pride and tremendous responsibility that is!!  One of the teachers of the village that I helped with their Bulgarian National English Spelling bee (regionals are this weekend!  Good luch Diana and Abi!) told me that her students were excited to "see an American."  At first I was a little put off (I've gone through 2 years of sometimes thinking I get special treatment because of my nationality) and said "I'm just a person."  Then I reminded myself I was going to a small village and, most importantly, these were kids and I have a soft spot for kids.  Now I can't compare this to Neil Armstrong and the first man on the moon or Christopher Columbus when he discovered Am, but I have to think they had a little swell of pride [or as the narrator in How the Grinch... put it "his heart grew 10 (or however many) sizes that day"] knowing that they were "the first"!  I'm not the most patriotic person but I take representing my country VERY seriously!  To be able  to give a little bit of Am to people over here makes me feel good!  I should also add that it's one of those "Dear God, please don't let me trip" feelings!  Today is overcast but warm.  As is usual for April until (for special language, math, or science (I think) schools) the end of June when the 8th-11th graders finish school it is a bit crazy and the students have "senioritis"...ALL OF THEM.  But I really can't blame them...BUT!  SO IF YOU'RE A STUDENT (AT 4AEG) READING THIS, JUST BECAUSE I UNDERSTAND DOES NOT MEAN YOU CAN QUIT SCHOOL AND NOT DO HOMEWORK FROM NOW UNTIL THE END OF JUNE!!  Love and hugs from me!! GOOD LUCK WITH ORLANDO MY PACERS!!

No comments:

Post a Comment