Thursday, May 3, 2012

Easter#1

Once again I'm sorry about Tuesday.  Tuesday was the B Labor Day, which I'll blog about later, and I didn't get home from the park until later in the afternoon.  Then had to finish up my B  homework or Tadsjinyr, my tutor, would get mad at me.  She probably wouldn't get mad but, believe it or not, this is homework I actually WANT to do.  So... today's blog will be about the Easter festivities while in Varshets.  Easter time for  Christians here was on the 15th of April.  The Thursday before is "Great Thursday", the Friday before is "Good Friday" (it just so happened to be Friday the 13th too!), and Easter is then Sunday the 15th.  I got this out of a traditions book the Corps gave volunteers; the calander at my school says nothing about Thursday and the Saturday before is "Great Saturday."  Thursday I dyed eggs with my host "mom", Dani, and sisers.  This part isn't that different from when I was younger and dyed eggs.  The first egg dyed is red (the English school students told me later red is for Christ's blood, which of course makes perfect sense).  This first egg is special and saved all year.  So special in fact that I went to move it once and Dani startled and told me to "be very careful with this one!"  After it was dyed Dani took it and "crossed" everyone's foreheads (a little like annointing with oil) "for health."  When we were all done we threw out the dye except for one of the red dyes; I wasn't really sure why but went with it.  I found our soon when Dani told her mother-in-law to "wait a little!  Lisa, come here."  Sorry, at this point we were dying eggs at my baba's house on their farm.  My baba took the dye outside, disappeard for a few seconds, then came back with a lamb.  She dipped her fingers in the red dye and wiped them on the lamb's head (I'm assuming also for health).  After all the eggs were dyed they were wiped with oil to help the colors shine.  I found this really did make the colors stand out more but made the eggs harder to peel when it came time to eat them.  Keep posted for more on Easter!  B has skipped Spring and went directly to Summer (or so it seems) and very warm temperatures!  I'm sitting at my desk with my window open to get a draft through my house; (I like a cross draft usually) it was a little cooler this morning but warms up very fast!  I have gone from opening my blinds and terrace door for warmth and sunshine to keeping them closed to keep the warmth out!  If only I could have had this problem this passed winter!   The Pacers are looking better and hopefully can wrap this series up soon!   Love and hugs from me!!

1 comment: