Tuesday, May 29, 2012

right and wrong

I'm not sure if this has anything to do with anything but I've noticed something here that I don't think would not happen in the States.  Now let me qualify that and say I live in a town here with around 4200 people, much smaller than Indianapolis my hometown in the States.  So I'm generalizing here and comparing my experiences in Indianapolis to this small town (and yes, we ARE a town).  I've said before how during the winter the heat source is a wood stove, so it goes without saying that when the weather gets nice, it's time for more wood to restock the supply.  Since I don't use wood for heat I'm not really sure about the process of getting wood but I have seen it delivered to my neighbors in the form of long tree trunks; my heart kinda of skips a  beat when I see all those trees that have been cut but hey, you gotta stay warm somehow right?  Of course the big trunks have to be chopped into smaller trunks, usually there is a chainsaw or other electrical instrument used for this part, and then the smaller trunks have to be chopped into usable sized pieces of wood for the stove.  This is where the ax comes in and I must say, that's some HARD work!  I've never done it but watched from afar several times and it's a chore!  I would chop wood if needed but to tell the truth not too sure I want to try...given I'd have to use an ax and all and one of my fellow volunteers had an unfortunate accident during pst and I don't know that his big toe will ever be the same!  Anyway all this to say that sometimes this wood, cut or uncut, sits out front of the house for days waiting to be cut or waiting to be moved to a "wood for winter" storage shed. It goes untouched by others.  I left my gas can out front, actually no-it was in my garage but the door was open, of my house in Indianapolis once and in the span of a couple hours it was gone.  Someone stole it.  My point is I think there is more of a sense of right and wrong here.  Now of course this isn't always true, homework from some of the students comes to mind or should I say the lack thereof, but I think on a whole what is right and what is wrong is more prevalent here.  Again let me say my experience is a small town; this may be different in Sofia for example.  Now granted it might be kinda hard to steal 1/2 a tree but I'm sure it can be done.  I've been getting birthday cards/wishes for about the past 2-3 weeks and my birthday isn't until next month!  Thanks you guys!  It's been raining quite a bit here but so far for today, no rain!  I'm keeping my fingers crossed; we don't need anymore right now.  Things here are starting to wind down, with me as well.  I struggle between trying to get as much ready for when I leave now and keeping my mind and focus on here and my job.  Right now I have to say I'm not doing a very good job of "staying here" with my focus.  I can't believe I only have 2 more months.  The middle of June I go to Sofia for my first medical appointments and exit interview with the Country Director.  After that I can imagine everything will be a whirlwind and it will seem like no time has passed until I'm back in Sofia for my final medical clearance and wrap-up a short time before I'm scheduled to be done.   That's enough for today as it's getting time for me to go have lunch and see Nargis who just arrived from Albena, the graduation trip.  Love and hugs from me and thanks again so much for the birthday wishes and cards!  Not quite sure how I'll celebrate this one but I'll come up with something!  I'm open to ideas!

No comments:

Post a Comment