Wednesday, May 26, 2010

mistakes

I'm going to have to force myself to make mistakes.  But first let me start where I left off a little.  Some background.  I am staying in the mountains and my town has beautiful scenery!  My town is famous for it's hot springs and mineral water which at one time were thought to have healing powers.  There is mineral water all over the place and I can walk to fill up my water bottle, I took the "staff only" off, everyday.  I think we have started the warm up where it's usually warm during the day.  They do not heat homes here, maybe a little in winter, so it gets pretty chilly at night.  In the morning I shiver every time I shower, then the hot water hits and it is ok.  What I was saying earlier is that I'm going to have to go outside my comfort zone and talk to people.  Oh I talk to my family, quite a bit actually and they have fun listening to all my mistakes, and say hello on the street.  What I mean is that I'm going to start doing my blog/main emails at lunch and then make a schedule.  Everyday I go to one place.  For example to the magazine, shop, to get chai, tea, or to get flowers for my family, which I plan on doing.  By doing this I can force myself to make conversation with people and, ok if it's easier to say it this way, make friends.  There are 5 others in my group, Sean from Calif is 25, Tyler from Ohio is about the same age, Deborah and Marisa who are 32 from Vermont and 33 from Pennsylvania respectively, and Naoma who is 67 or so.  Sean and Tyler are great at doing this and Sean has been helping me, they both have really.  So I'm going to try this and then maybe my speaking will start to improve.  Yes I feel uncomfortable but it's by making mistakes that we grow and if I don't make these mistakes now it could be a long 2 yrs!  Sean said something that hit home for me.  He told me to not be afraid to make an imperfect sentence.  First of all we don't know how to yet and second, by making mistakes we get corrected, thus starting conversation and learning.  So I guess I'm trying to tell every one of you and myself not to be afraid to make a fool of yourself.  Almost class time so I gotta go!  I miss everyone at the Fieldhouse too and please someone give my a rundown of how the Fever are doing.

2 comments:

  1. Language is not something you will acquire over night. Remember all the little kids at your previous workplace. You need to be more like them. Worry about expressing your self and get your message across. Not about the way you sound to others. You are going to be just fine. Trust me I've been there.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Lisa. I'm glad your blog is now up and running. Just give yourself some time to learn the new language. Everyone who does Peace Corps struggles early on with the new language. I had many difficulties as well. Just know it's OK to make mistakes and continue learning. Take care!

    p.s. One minor suggestion for your blog. I think your font size for your blog entries is a bit large. Try using the 'normal' font size if you can.

    ReplyDelete