Tuesday, May 24, 2011

a "hidden" reason

I am not a dancer.  I have to admit I am much better at slow dances than the fast, latest style of dancing.  That being said I have always wanted to learn but just never had the overwhelming desire to take lessons.  Bulgaria has a rich history of traditional dances that most EVERYBODY knows.  In fact during PST we were taught 2.  Anyway, I am committed to dancing here.  Other Volunteers do a much better job at this than I because they have classes close to them.  I don't but that doesn't hold me back;  I can make a fool of myself just like anybody else!  I am happy to announce (mom) that I know 2.   But this blog isn't really all about dancing, only partially.  I'm sure everyone reading this blog remembers the attitude in the states right after 9/11.  There were no political parties and no agendas.  We were all citizens of the U.S.; we were united!  That same feeling, I'm assuming, is the feeling that the citizens here get when a traditional song is played.  It's doesn't matter who you are, if you're a citizen living in B. that's part of your identity; it's YOURS.  I have always wondered, especially after I tried a dance in Hissar recently and didn't do well (really!  A man watching us actually left his seat to come and help me!) what Bulgarian people thing of Americans/foreigners trying to do their dances and sometimes, I'm speaking for myself, looking like bumbling idiots.  Sorry, I have to back up a tad.  The Bella Rosa is the traditional dance and is a must at all PC gatherings.  So the last night while at the Life Skills Training a big group of us, Bulgarians and Americans, went to a restaurant with live music assuming they would play the B.R.  They did and several more.  So after the evening I asked my counterpart what her opinion of other people trying to do traditioal B dances was and what she thought Bulgarians in general thought.  She said it gives her pride and she is very proud that we want to do them.  (now is when you have to follow closely my train of thought)  Bulgaria is at a time of transition right now.  Lots of people leave because of the lack of jobs and money.  I believe, and have been asked by a couple B's, that B will be strong again; that it will happen for B!  If you're a Bulgarian reading this I mean no offense; I live here and am proud to be a B citizen!  So putting all this together I realized: maybe one of the reasons (I'm sure this is written somewhere but I just thought about it) we are here is to build pride for Bulgaria among Bulgarians.  I'm not saying there isn't any!  I'm just thinking that if this sense of pride is "added to" (for lack of a better word) maybe it will make someone think again about living here or somewhere else.   One of my goals for this next year is to learn more dances!  Let me tell you, they can dance!!!  Love and hugs!  Thoughts and prayers go out to Missouri and the rest of the South!

No comments:

Post a Comment