Tuesday, May 31, 2011

volleyball

This past Saturday was a school day here to make up for the non-school day last Monday.  Our school had a volleyball tournament.   Anyway I learned some things about volleyball here that's not quite the same as the volleyball I grew up playing.  At first I found myself thinking "why are we playing sports on a study day?'' but then I thought about it.  Every school I have gone to or worked at in the states has a field day at the end of the year.  So then I felt better.  But I got a little confused when I saw one of the players from one of the teams kick the volleyball over the net because he/she couldn't get their hands under it in time AND win the point.  Come to find out in very recent times the rules have been altered to include the fact that kicking the volleyball is acceptable.  I think you can even use your head here but that I'm less sure about.  I tried to look up the rules to American volleyball, I'm fairly certain we don't have those rules but am not a volleyball person so can't say with 100% certainty we don't, and didn't get very far.  I found that quite interesting and the students had fun and sure can play!!!  CONGRATULATIONS 8 CLASS-YOU GUYS ROCK THE SCHOOL...in volleyball that is.  Speaking of students I'm going to try something tomorrow night which may not work at all and some may even say it's boardering on stupidity!  But as my great friend Jez always says "there's only 1 way to find out!"  Let me back up a bit.  Since one year has passed for me here, I've had a chance to reflect on what more I want to do this next year and so on.  Over the past week I made a schedule for myself on exactly WHEN I'm going to do these things, or at least try.  One of my goals is to try to have an activity in the stol for the students every Wednesday.  This Wednesday I'm going to try to have a study night.  1 hour after dinner for homework or studing for tests or whatever.  My counterpart, one of the English teachers, is going to show up and she offered to help the students if they have questions.  Yes it's high school and yes it's nice outside and yes they would rather be in the kafe drinking with friends.  I know all that.   If no one shows up I'll know not to try it again, or try it during winter, and if one student shows up, it was successful.  That's is from here!  Love and hugs!  Prayers are with the people of Joplin!!

No comments:

Post a Comment