Monday, May 23, 2011

this time of year

It's very interesting how almost overnight things can go from people staying inside and doing their "winter/cold weather routine" to the "summertime/warm weather routine."   It's been warmer for a few weeks now but today was reminiscent of what I first remember when I moved here.  Monday is the pazaren den, or day where there are lots of vendors selling fruits, vegetables, clothes, and housewares.  It's summertime!   I know it's summertime because as I was coming back from the pazar my neighbors were sitting outside and asked if I wanted to join them for coffee or tea.  This time I had coffee.  This is what I have to do!  In addition to their offer of coffee I got another while at the pazar.  I love this time!  Yesterday I made a partial list of things I want to do differently this next year; now I just have to incorporate it into my daily schedule.  One of the things I want to do (I can't say differently because I really didn't do this last year) is learn how to prepare Bulgarian dishes and asked my neighbor lady if she could teach me.  Another thing I need to do differently is being more proactive about speaking.  Summer is a great time for that because everyone sits outside and there is absolutely no way a person will not find a group of people and be invited over!   I got into the habbit last summer of sitting with my neighbors and talking so it won't be hard to find a place to do that. Tomorrow I will start writing about the topics I came up with while I was away and the special days here but I just had to blog about the start of the summer season (for me.)  Funny story:  Last Friday our seniors had their "ball", or graduation ceremory.  Our school is funded by a Muslim organization, the "leader" of the Muslim people here is Bulgaria.  He spoke on Friday and directed a question towards me.  I had no idea I would be spoken to during the ceremony and wasn't with any of the teachers who could translate for me; I wanted to get pictures so was where I could see better and the teachers were off to the side.  When he started talking to me some of the teachers told my counterpart, and translator, "oh no!  You're her translator and she's over there!"  She had confidence in me, more than I had but I was shocked I had no time to be nervous, and when he asked if I knew B. all the teachers said yes and told him to go slow.  I UNDERSTOOD!!!  Hindsight being what it is I could have said more and, this isn't supposed to reflect badly on me in any way, I really could have messed up big time in front of parents and should have been more nervous but I wasn't and answered well.  PHEW!  I'm sure you all have been in situations where you could mess up royally in front of a VIP.  Anyway, time to go make my first tomato and cucumber salad, I don't have any sirene yet, of the summer.  Thoughts and prayers are with the people affected by the terrible flooding in the south.  Love and hugs!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment