Thursday, December 8, 2011

favorite things #5

It just occured to me that it's about time for another "favorite things" blog.  I love the fact that when I go from the Kindergarten to the English school (for my adult classes mon-wed) I pass chickens and roosters on the street out for their daily stroll.  Not something I run into everyday in Indianapolis!  I took notice of them yesterday while walking and had one of those moments, one of those "I don't think I've ever shared the street with chickens and roosters before!"  I love the fact that, after making smores with some of the high school boys in the hostel last night, one of the boys was very excited when I told him I would give him some marshmallows to take to his village so he could show his family.  I also love that he wanted to show his family.  I love the fact that he wanted to pay me for making him a smore because he used something of mine.  That attitude, after experiencing the "gimmie, gimmie, gimmie" attitude of many children/young adults in the states that I am used to dealing with, is very refreshing!  He fought me on my "no" for awhile and then finally I got through to him when I said "I win because I'm 40 and you're 17-case closed!" He did make me promise to let him treat me to a coffee sometime which I appreciate.  I love it (and hate it at the same time) when, sitting at dinner the other night with an 8th grade boy talking about doing stuff and being bored and all and me explaining that I'm here for activities and to do things with youth, he says "but what will we do when you leave?"  AW!  I love it that my girl students want to show me the dances they are working on when I go visit them in the hostel.  I also have to say, no matter how well I know the language, I still have to have people translate for me, or repeat what I say, when I talk to people because of my accent or because I say things in a more confusing way.  I'm thinking about the Kindergarden and how the teachers help me with directions and all because they understand me.  It's like they use a shorthand/clarrify things for me.  Believe it or not, I love that they do that for me!  I love the fact that I have to ask what is popular on the radio in the states because I hear so many English songs here but have no idea if they are from years ago or are popular in the states now.  I love the fact that, years from now, I'll be somewhere in the states and hear a song on the radio that I hear over here and the memory will take me back here.  Memories are such powerful things...and I will have enough to fill a book!  I lso love he fact that you all back in the states go to such lengths to show me that you care about me!  THANKS MOM !!  Next time, have Ron mail it!!Love and hugs from here!

No comments:

Post a Comment