Thursday, December 1, 2011

World AIDS Day

Let's see here, what to write today.  Today is World AIDS Day. (Just a side note here, all these international days like today and International Women's Day on March 8th I really was not aware of until I joined the corp; kind of interesting.)  Once again Nargis, the teachers, and the student who went through the Life Skills Trainings (covering sexual health and all that goes with that) have put together a nice presentation/informational session for the students of the English School.  The teachers decided to have it during the day instead of 2 of the "extra" classes (not really extra but I can't think of another word to describe them) at the end of the day.  That's all nice and good and way to go collegues(yea!) BUT my schedule was already full at the time they wanted  to have it and I didn't feel right about cancelling my other committment; I have a class in the Kindergarten.  This is really what sustainability is all about (with the exception that usually the volunteer slowly backs out of the planned activities instead of being a no-show at the start of the activities!)  The reason that one of the students and Nargis, my counterpart for the newbies to the blog, went with me to the trainings this past summer was so that they feel they are able to, and have the resources to, do things on days like this after PC leaves Bulgaria.  I have to say from my perspective, they've got it way covered!!  The teachers I work with are always so eager to help with whatever.  I don't see sustainability being a problem here!!  Today is another sunny day here but not as warm.  My mom sent me a "20Q" game and last night I had it in my coat pocket and pulled it out after supper and the students loved it and took turns trying to stump it.  I' m thinking about smores tonight for the girls floor in the hostel but not quite sure yet.  Thoughts, and prayers, are with my family in the states!!  Love and hugs from me!!

1 comment:

  1. getting your christmas package ready! woo hoo! the scarf i'm making you is turning out to be huge... if you hate it just tell me and i'll rip it out and remake it when you get back. the thing probably weighs like multiple pounds. but it will be warm...

    ReplyDelete