Tuesday, November 29, 2011

"my" Sarah

I like dogs but have not had one since I was in high school or around then; it's been awhile!  Of course you all have read, or maybe not, about how many homeless dogs we have wondering around, depending on the kindness of people for food.  Sarah, one of the homeless dogs (street dogs as they're referred to here) that I was immediately drawn to once I arrived here 2 Julys ago, was a little like my dog.  She wasn't mine in that she went home with me inside my apartment or I was the person who was responsible for her, but she was "mine."  She went EVERYWHERE I did!!  This past weekend I almost even fell because I went to walk away after talking to someone and she was under my feet so when I went to walk I tripped over her!  As you all can probably tell by now and the use of the past tense referring to her she passed away over the weekend.  What I choose to focus on and write about was the fact that S. had only 2 good legs, her front ones and her back ones just kinda dangled behind when when she  "walked."  She was the definition of perseverance and "gumption," the never say die attitude, the "so what if I only have 2 legs" attitude.  She didn't let a little thing like the lack of 2 legs slow her down AT ALL!  She did not feel sorry for herself and stop living (or chasing cars)or curl up in a ball and wait to die, figuring she wasn't getting anywhere (no pun intended) so why try.  She was with me just about everywhere I went, even if it was far away!  One time this past summer I went to meet some students at the stadium to watch a football, soccer, match.  The stadium is kind of far from my apartment but S followed me the whole way...and back!  You can think it sounds a little silly when I say she was inspirational but think about it; here was a dog with only 2 good legs that still chased vehicles, I guess a donkey cart is a vehicle, got into fights with 4 legged dogs, and generally did everything a 4 legged dog would do!  She had a handicap; didn't stop her.  I am really going to miss seeing her come and meet me after I get home from work and stand still while I pet her!!  I really will miss looking behind me and not seeing her there!!  Now S is in a place where she can chase cars with the use of 4 legs and has an over supply of food all the time.  I'm going to miss you S!  Thoughts and prayers are with my family!!  Love and hugs from here!

1 comment:

  1. Lisa, since JP got me the ipad I haven't been coming upstairs to use the computer as much and so haven't been following your blog. mom told me a few days ago about Sarah... I'm so sorry, I know that you really must have been sad about this, like she was your own dog. She's up in doggie heaven on four legs and probably has adopted an angel and is their little shadow, chasing the chariots, running on the golden roads! Bless you, little Sarah!

    ReplyDelete