Friday, December 10, 2010

little things!

Ok I apologize again but "names" is going to have to wait until next week.  I woke up this morning to snow!  .  Now I kinda have been a little nervous since the nice weather has lasted a long time.  yeah, we've had weeks of cold where I have had to use my hat (thanks mom and ron) but over all I have to say it's been nice.  Just yesterday I'll bet it got to about 70* F in the afternoon.  Of course everyone said snow was coming and lots of it.  So generally I haven't been looking forward to the snow.  HOWEVER...when I walked outside this morning, I had a letter at the post office from Aunt Sue:):):) and saw the snow falling a big smile crossed my face!  So my idea for this blog came from that and how we never know what will transpire and make us think of home.  Now I'm not homesick, of course I miss my family and look forward to talking to them on weekends and am missing my nieces grow up, but I want to be here and this is the life I want right now and am loving it.  BUT, sometimes when I get home late, or just when it's dark, and can see the stars sooo clearly I think this is the same sky my family and friends in the states are under.  I had a great time at our Tgiving celebration, it was better after all the food was served and people were actually eating it and not getting sick, but it wasn't Thanksgiving for me until I took that first bite of turkey!  THAT made it Thanksgiving.  Things like hearing my nieces song that she sings on my ipod before going to sleep, i accidenly deleated it and it really makes me mad, help take my thoughts "home."  The Colts blanket my Aunts sent me and the Pacer headband that my working group from church sent.  The snow.  Yes, even the snow.  THe picture I got the other day of "my kids" from my previous job in the states holding a mini chalkboard that said "Hi Ms. Lisa" and sitting at a table with "Lisa" and a heart made out of the plastic bugs they play with and I remember having to pick up several times and not liking it!  THe wishbone I found at Tgiving.  I have no idea why that was a special moment for me because I have never found one before and certainly can't associate that with family!  So I guess today what I'm writing about is being aware of the little things like snow or a song or just anything little.  THose things may not seem important but when you go without for awhile and then suddenly there it is, that memory is priceless and can really be something sustainable.  THe Corps is all about sustainability and doing things that will last after we're gone and and no one is around or wants to carry on with a certain project we started.  I understand that and realize that is very important!  However I just now thought about the fact that memories can be just as sustainable and I'd never really thought about that before.  So appreciate the little things and, as the cliche goes, take time to smell the roses.  Appreciate what you have and celebrate that because, as I had to be reminded last night, it's the memories that will last, the appreciation of the little things- like the stars being the same here and in the states-not how well we taught English or how well I spoke Bulgarian.  And don't forget to hug...especially children!  Love and hugs from snowy Bulgaria! (after I reread this I realize it might be kinda sad and depressing.  Sorry and it's really not supposed to be!!  It started about how the snow made me smile and just evolved from there.  It's really not supposed to have a gloomy or sad tone AT ALL!!! Oh, I know how to make it better!  I'm leaving for Italy in less than 2 wks for xmas!  A volunteer  friend of mine invited me to go along with her to visit her sister and I jumped at the chance!  Ok, my mom and sister know better but there really wasn't much hesitation on my part.  Did that help the tone of this blog any???  lisa

No comments:

Post a Comment