Tuesday, June 7, 2011

flowers

So I'm sitting here eating cherries that I just picked from a co-workers tree and they are delicious!!  Thank you Esin and family!  I don't think I've blogged about just how loved flowers are here; if I have, sorry.  In fact they're more than loved, they are a hobby.  When I say hobby I mean I've seen pictures and been in houses where EVERY FREE SPACE has a flower/plant.  Now my mom loves her flowers and even has a room just for them (sadly to say they have died; I can't be in 2 places at once and truth be told I'd much rather be here) but let me say mom, you have met your match and you really have nothing on these women...sorry:(  Here along with the summer comes huge gardens with cucumbers, tomatoes, onion, garlic, dill, spinach, (I'm sure I'm leaving something out) and all sorts of fruit trees; cherry, apple, plum, and others I'm sure.  The question (as far as I've seen) isn't "will you have a garden this summer" but "what will you have in your garden" or "what kind of compot and conserve are you going to make this summer?"  Having as big of a garden as is very typical here is A LOT of work!!  I tip my hat to everyone who has a garden here; they work HARD!!  Of course planting and taking care of the garden is only part of the work.  Once the veggies or fruit is ready then it is time to sit in front of a fire (not all the time) drinking tea or coffee, chatting with friends, and making compot or conserve for the winter.  If there is no garden at the house or apartment where you are living then chances are there is one at the other house, the one where the parents live.  The garden is outside the house but once you go inside, then the flowers begin to show themselves!  Every little corner and space has a flower!  Now not all women are as into flowers as others are but believe me, when someone says "I want to show you pictures of my house" they mean "I want to show you pictures of my flowers" and there just happens to be a house in there too!  They also take lots of work.  One of the first weekends I was here I went to a coworkers house and she and her mom (I was a "gostinka" so I couldn't help) spent much of Sunday getting their flowers ready for winter and transplanting them.  I really am going to try and help this summer as much as they'll let me!  I asked the man I get my honey from last week if I could help this summer and he shook his head yes.   I really want to help because that's my nature but will take what is given to me and be glad for that!!  That's all from here!  Love and hugs!!

No comments:

Post a Comment