Wednesday, June 8, 2011

it's here!

So here it is, my birthday.  I just got back from passing little chocolates out to various people here and while doing that I had 2 thoughts: #1- people can understand me and I can understand them for the most part and #2- this really has turned into a second, third if you count my pst time, home!  I walked into school today to be greeted with the song "happy birthday" in English while all the teachers stood around the table with a cake in the middle, reminding me it's #40.  I was presented with flowers, an odd number-even #'s are for funerals, and presents.  After I put my spread on the table, the birthday person treats everyone to chocolates and I had some juice, sprite, and a favorite coffee with me, in walks the Principal with another bag from the teachers of things that represent Bulgaria.  He told my counterpart to translate what he said but I understood him!  I had bought chocolates for all the students and put them out and even got a little (football shaped) cake from the 11th grade.  I was wished health, love, strength, and everything that comes with those.  As I reflect on these last 40 years, and this last one in particular, I feel very fortunate!!  I am living a dream by many people's standards.  There are a couple things I wish would have been different, when I let a boyfriend tell me what to do and when my cousin was in the hospital and I didn't go see her right away because I was with friends, but on the whole I have NOTHING to be unhappy and complain about!  I have the most awesome family anyone could want!  I'm surrounded by friends who care about me and help me in countless ways.  I have been lucky enough to get to travel and see a little bit of this beautiful world.  I have been blessed with awesome role models in my life who have shown me how to live a life of service and be humble.  It's been quite a ride so far!!  Now I'm serving my country by making lasting friendships and falling all over myself trying to learn to dance.  I feel so incredibly blessed to be part of the Peace Corps!  I just had a conversation with the pharmacist and she asked me what I'm going to do when my time here is over and I told her I didn't know.  She said "stay here" and I again missunderstood what she was trying to say and said "I don't know" and she repeated "stay here."  She wasn't asking me, she was telling me!!  I have another home here.  This place has adopted me and I can't begin to thank them!  I got an email from my pastor of my church in Indy last night and he asked me if I feel like I'm giving useful help.  After I told him that different days he would get different answers from me I told him that I feel like nothing I could possibly give would equal what has been given to me by my new place of residence.  That's the way I feel and I think that's a common feeling among volunteers but I can't speak for anyone but myself.  Bulgaria has such a rich culture that I wish all of you could experience first hand; my blog counts but not for "first hand."  For all of this I have to thank my God without whom none of this would be possible!  Before this becomes too long I'm going to quit and try to put some pictures on here too.  On second thought, I'll just post twice today!  Love and hugs from me!  I wish the fires away from towns in Arizona and no lives lost!!

1 comment:

  1. Happy Birthday, Lisa! I so wish we could we could be there to celebrate with you. I love you so much and am grateful every day to have a sister like you. The kids wish you a happy birthday!

    ReplyDelete