Friday, June 10, 2011

the irony of it all!

I figure I better take advantage of the fact that I have power and do a blog while I have the opportunity.  It's been rather windy and power was out several hours today and yesterday for awhile I had no internet connection.  Something I've come to get used to over here, and I still find kind of strange, is that I can walk into a restaurant or cafe over here and here American 80s songs that I haven't heard in a long while.  For instance sitting at a table outside a restaurant last weekend with a volunteer friend for a late lunch I realized I was listening to American 80s music.  I'm a fan of 80s music but the songs they were playing weren't the typical more popular 80s songs you usually hear listening to an 80s radio station.  We ordered our salads, loving the music and occasionally singing along, when it occured to me what an oxymoron I was living at the moment.  Maybe not an oxymoron exactly (my memory of the definition might be a little shaky and I don't want to stop and look it up right now) but incredibly ironic and unexpected.  Here I am in Bulgaria-BULGARIA-eating a salad that is awesome and my favorite salad here...yet it has no lettuce, a staple in a salad by many peoples' standards.  Also, what should be playing on the radio while we are waiting for our lettuce-less salads??  80s music from America!  It's the kind of thing that makes you stop for just a minute...and then say "ok."  So I've gotten used to hearing 80s music here and of course Bulgarian and Turkish music.  What I did find interesting however was when I walked into a restaurant with my friends, a small birthday celebration, sat down at the table, and heard American heavy metal/rap/not sure what kind of music it was!  What was even more interesting was that I took notice and it was "wrecking the mood!"  Since we were the only 4 in the restaurant there wasn't much of a mood but whatever American music this Bulgarian restaurant was playing didn't fit and I have to say I was happy when they changed it!  Not much of a blog today but it's Friday and this is what you get.  And Maya, "Soul Sister" by Train still makes me smile!!  I know you have moved on and all.  Love and hugs!!

1 comment:

  1. Never fear, Aunt Lisa, I still ask for Soul Sister from time to time when I'm in Dad's car. But lately I'm liking Dynamite by Taio Cruz. I can really shake my booty to that one :)

    ReplyDelete