Wednesday, June 15, 2011

some answers, again

So yesterday I got a package from my aunt and she had some questions for me that I thought I'd turn into a blog.  She asked me what exactly I do with the students, what is my "work."  When I don't go to classes with the English teachers to speak or read to the students I try to encourage them to use English in other ways.  One of my goals for this next year is to be more active with the students.  More specifically I want to have an activity in the hostel stol, cafeteria, once a week.  We've previously had a game night, worked on the flashcard project 2 different nights, and had a pretty successful study night; students actually showed up much to my surprise!  I go on walks with the students and have hosted them in my apartment.  Again, next year I will do a better job of visiting the students in the hostel.  We play games, UNO is popular, or I help with homework if they ask.  Pretty much the reason I am here is for them; the young people and I do things for and with them, mostly with them.  My aunt asked me about the people and the friends I've made.  The people here couldn't be nicer to me!!  Of course I hear different things from different people but I have to say what I have experienced has been nothing but kindness and niceness!  I have lots of friends, or who I would call my friends, outside of the students and where I work.  Ok maybe not lots because the people I just described make up a big part of this place.  As it is becoming more and more summer and school is almost out I look forward to sitting with my neighbors at night, and the dogs who love me now, talking, making compot and conserve (canning), drinking tea and coffee, and most importantly trying to understand and improve my B!  She asked about the weekends and I have to say I am usually a hermit on the weekends and that is something that WILL change.  Usually I watch some English t.v. (weekends are for E tv), talk to my family, and finish up (or continue) projects.  Right now my favorite E show that I watch pretty much every Saturday morning is Gilmore Girls.  There was a show on called Army Wives that I was hooked on but I think it is over for the season, or over period I really don't know!  I have found Criminal Minds, THE favorite, on at a time when I am still awake and watch some but that's in B.  About whether B's like Americans?  I have written blogs about this and have to say from my experience, yes.  When I was in PST (1st 10 weeks here in B for those who are new or just don't know) the Peace Corps told all 87 of us in my group that on the whole B's like foriegners.  I paid attention but really brushed it aside.  Now that I've been here a year I have to say I whole heartedly agree with that statement.  I have had numerous times where someone has gone out of their way to help me because, well, I looked like I needed it!  I can't really speak from experience about other nationalities but if it's anything like how I have been accepted then I would have to say they would be just as accepted!  About President Obama.  He is mentioned a lot here and everyone knows him.  About what they think of him?  I really don't know and I stay as far from that as I can.  I can say usually he is spoken about with a positive tone.  One thing about how America is thought of I don't like is the fact that on the whole it is thought America is it, life is so much better in America, so much money, America is where it's at!  And please understand this is just my opinion.  I love my country!  We do have more money and opportunities there, I will admit.  But the idea that "the grass is always greener", everything would be better if only..., America is so much better is the attitude I really don't like.  Every country has it's problems and that includes America.  Life isn't easy there either.  Easier, maybe because of opportunities.  I will admit this is coming from a woman who grew up in America, not Bulgaria, so I really have no idea about life here.  However, the grass may be greener but it also may not be.  Wherever you go you have to work for things, they don't just appear overnight.  Anyway I think that's about enough of that!  If you want something bad enough no matter where you are and you work for it It might happen!  But if you don't work, chances of it happening are so much less!  It all starts with a dream!  (I just thought about how that sounds and I didn't mean for it to sound like I was trying to be MLK so please forgive me)!   Love and hugs!!

No comments:

Post a Comment