Wednesday, June 16, 2010

r first test

a week from today will be our "test" to see if we can travel back to our homes by ourselves.  no counterparts, no language trainers to hold our hands, and no pc buddies to figure things out with if we don't remember the words.  just us!  tom we are going to vratsa to find out our permanent site, fri and sat we will meet our counterparts and figure out our relationship as well as find out a little about our best friends for2 yrs.  then on sun we travel with our counterparts to our site and stay there till wed of next week.  i am taking toni's advice and pre-writing out cards for "when is the bus to..."  and "where is the bus/train station?"  and things like that.  i'm a little nervous but know i can do it and have a fail safe.  not really a plan b but have emergency #'s just in case.  we can take one of our bigger bags along and our counterpart will store it in a safe place for us so that when we travel back to our sites we won't have as much luggage as when we first got over here which is nice!  i got most of my packing my extra bag done on mon pm and just have to pack for the trip to vratsa and my site.  again i'm not sure if i'll be able to blog till next fri, maybe thurs but we have a cluster on thurs after we get back...not much time to recooperate!  assume no news is good news!  for those of you that need info before next fri. get in touch with my parents.  if anyone knows anything it would be them!  i am going to let my family over here know too but that is a very expensive call for you just to hear my whereabouts!  the haircut went fine!  it is short but not as short as i wore it the last 2 yrs,.  maybe after it had grown out for 3 wks. or so.  at first dani thought it was a little too short (i did ask her how women in b were viewed if they have too short of hair) but she quickly changed her mind because she said it looked good on me.  tyler in my group called it my "teacher cut" and when we went to visit a schood this am asked me if i was ready to teach.  NOT QUITE!  i do have to say on that note im glad they decided to change my program to td instead of tefl!  so here goes nothing!  thank you all for not forgetting me and the continued letters, thoughts, and support.  i sure can feel it!

1 comment:

  1. Hi Lisa. Everything you've been describing about your PST experience in Bulgaria is almost exactly the same as it was in Mauritania. One difference is I don't remember ever having to travel by ourselves during PST. It can be somewhat of a scary first experience because of language challenges. But you'll do fine.

    One other thing about counterparts, is that sometimes they are great partners and other times not so much. My village selected a poor counterpart for me, so I selected someone else after being in my village for about six months. OK, take care and best of luck with these new challenges coming up.

    ReplyDelete