Tuesday, October 5, 2010

day of volunteering

i knew they would love it!  at least the young women had fun.  i can't say what the young men did and i'm going to have to ask the principal of the kindergarten if they need to come with me on thurs.  the y.w. with me jumped right in and i fell in the background, which is actually what is supposed to happen for sustainable development, i just didn't realize it would happen with the classes!  it actually came in very handy b/c they know B better than i do and could translate for me.  i think we even stayed a little longer than we were scheduled to but hey, as long as it is working!  one of the teachers went with me to take pictures and i think she had a nice time too and it also helped for translation too.  i have to say tho it was kinda tiring afterwards.  i offered to take those who wanted to out for kafe for a t-you and one of the y.w. and the teacher who came to take pics came with me.  one spoke B and i speak english with the student and it was hard going back and forth!  i usually try to speak B if one person knows only B but there were times when i was just talking to the student, can you believe i don't know all their names and i spent 1.5 hrs with them, and i had to switch back to my native tongue.  not gonna lie it was kinda hard.  well maybe i planted a seed but either way it was kinda interesting having someone volunteer, help, me since i'm used to being the volunteer!  there's a lot more i have to and want to do but all i need is time!  i almost forgot!  today while having tutoring my tutor told me my language was at 5th gr level.  i'm 39 yrs old and in the 5th grade!  anyway...tonight i have to think about how to tell the story of pinnochio in B!  Today i listened to a fairytale in Bulgarian and for homework i have to think of one in english to translate into B.  why is it that when she said that the only story that jumped into my head was that one!  and i really don't know it that well.  i'll have to sleep on it!  i'm going to help the y.w. in the hostel tonight after dinner which i'm kinda looking forward to.  that's all for today.  it's raining outside right now and is only going to get colder!  do utre!  all my love!

No comments:

Post a Comment