Thursday, October 14, 2010

it's the small things

just this morning i had the idea for this blog.  every day i deal with this difference but just now thought to write about it.  over here the temperature is given in *C instead of *F.  so yes, while 5*C is cold it's not as cold as one might think.  there are more correct ways to compute *C to *F, including on my phone-"there's an app for that"-but a quick, give or take 2 or 3 * is multiply by 2 and add 30.  so 5*C is around 40*F, and yes the other morning when i woke up and was watching the news Pyce, which is about 45 minutes NW was 5*C at about 7:15/7:30.  sure enough!  i just checked on my phone and 5*C is 41*F.  that took some getting used to!  one on the guys in my pst group got me a termometer for my birthday and it has *C and *F and that sure has been helpful!  another thing, in addition to the temperature being different, is distance isn't in miles, it's in kilometers.  over here it's all liters and grams, not cups or teasoons.  before i left the states my cousin printed out and had laminated a conversion chart for cooking.  now i really don't cook that much but have to say i've used it several times already and converting all the quantities when making choc chip cookies took longer than the actual baking process.  i never was very good at math!  now to my day.  tom afternoon i'm leaving for the weekend to go ha ghosti to one of my collegues villages.  that will be fun and i have to say it will be a real test for my B language!  and it could be that my collegue is the only person who speaks and B at all.  we'll see and i am looking forward to it although will have to work on a few things for next week.  halloween is coming and both the kdgn and english school want me to do something and i need to plan!  but i'm going to another place in B and that will be nice and a new experience for me!  that being said i'm not sure if i'll get to blog tom or not.  if not have a great weekend everyone and i'll talk to you on mon!  oh yeah!  this is the day, oct 14th, 50 yrs ago when JFK stood on the steps of the MSU campus and challenged the students to serve their country by going abroad  and the idea of the Peace Corps was planted.  next yr, 2011, is the big 50 yr anniv celebration and also 20 yrs in B!  what a time to be in the corps!  and in B too!  love to all!

1 comment:

  1. Lisa, it's called the metric system. Actually only three countries DO NOT use the metric system, one of them being the US.

    p.s. I haven't seen you on Skype the past two Sundays. Let me know what time (Bulgarian time) you can chat this Sunday on Skype. Take care!

    ReplyDelete