Tuesday, October 19, 2010

my weekend

well i can tell you i had way too much to eat this past weedend!  everywhere i went, with my collegue, i was fed.  on fri afternoon i took the minibus with the students who lived in the same villege.  it was about a half an hour ride.  i got there and dropped my stuff in the room where i was to sleep, we rested for awhile, and then went and took a tour of the village.  we went to the mayor's office and everything.  of course while at the mayor's office we had coffee and talked for awhile.  then we headed back to the house and got ready for dinner.  lots of women here sew, including my collegue, and she showed me her "goblins" (framed finished needlepoint or crosstitch pictures) and they were all really beautiful.  she also showed me an outfit she made for a turkish wedding that was also beautiful and very intricately stitched.  we talked a little and studied english a little and then it was time for bed.  saturday morning one of our students came over and visited with us a little and then took us back to her house to visit.  her aunt and uncle came over and we had a housefull.  her uncle spoke english and so i spoke with him, but also used my B.   since i only speak english with the studnts many of them, ok most of them, don't know i speak B too or at least very well.(I'm not saying i speak very well but i can say more than hello and i'm good in B) so speaking in front of one of the students was kinda interesting for me!  on course more food and when we left we went home only to have more guests come over.  everytime i tried to lift a finger i was told no and that i was a "ghostinka.  Sejada!"  i know i'm spelling that wrong but basically i was a guest and to sit.  i finally broke into helping when i washed my glass and silverware after dinner.  everywhere i went the people i met wanted to teach me B, or turkish, and i was going to teach them english.  I've got my work cut out for me!!  sorry but i'm going to sign off here,  dinner's here and MY WASHER IS HOOKED UP!!!!  not sure if i trust myself enough to use it yet tonight.  maybe i'll wait till tom.  will wrie more about this past weekend later!  love to all!

1 comment:

  1. Little moments like this will be what you take home with you when you return. I think we all get so used to how things are here, you don't realize that elsewhere in the world people live totally differently. And that you can really enjoy living a different way. Sounds like you're really adapting to your new life over there. Oh and if you were, say, pregnant with your third kid and living in Bulgaria, you'd have gained over 20 pounds by now :)

    ReplyDelete