Thursday, October 7, 2010

nonsense words

you can't believe how hard it is to talk w/o all those little nonsense words we always use!  now that i think about it they are more like self talk than nonsense.  (those of you who know me know i do a lot of self talk!  sometimes i even answer myself.  sophie, i hear you laughing) they do serve a purpose amazingly.  they're kinda like a bridge btwn thoughts.  it's like they enable us to continue thinking while taking a break.  i'm talking about the "man i had it" or "where is it!" when looking for something or "i know i know that."  things like that.  the other day during my tutoring lesson when i got frustrated at myself it was b/c i don't think in B.  when my tutor said i needed to start trying to think in B i tried...and do you know i couldn't finish a thought w/o uttering some of those phrases!  when i was in maybe 7th gr my stepdad was helping em practice a speech or something along those lines.  my choice nonsense word then was "well."  ron challenged me to say 1 sentence w/o saying that and do you know it was almost impossible?  i couldn't do it! it's kinda like a crutch when you think about it.  all those little "oh man"'s or "where is it...i can't find it"  are like little crutches that we depend on and we don't even realize it!  now of course i realize it b/c it has been brought to my attention.  so i've started replacing oh man” with “o boshe” and i think “a me” is kinda like “well, let me see.”  it’s harder than one might think, getting rid of those little crutches!  when i’m looking for something and can’t find it i try and remember to say “kude (where)” instead of the actual “where is it”  it’s kind of an interesting relavation when you figure it out.  so i challenge each one of you to become more aware of the words you use.  try and make it through a day, an hour, a sentence without using meaningless words.   and L. (D too) my thoughts and prayers are with you!!

2 comments:

  1. Lisa, I don't understand why you don't type your entries in Word (or Word Pad) first and then copy it into your blog? I also don't understand why you keep losing your information on here????

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes your blog made me laugh, but I was also thinking that a couple days ago, Connor was on the phone with one of his friends, telling her about his day, and I was counting out loud each time he said the word "like". Just one time he stopped me because he said he had used the word correctly (as in "she likes him") so it shouldn't count.
    AS far as the thinking in Bulgarian, it is a process, you will wake up one day and realize that even your dreams are in Bulgarian.

    ReplyDelete