Tuesday, March 15, 2011

doopka

After traveling some in B I can tell you another one of the similarities between here and the states is (are) POTHOLES.  Here they are called "Doopke."  Whereas in the states there is a number to call (at least in Indy there used to be) to report a pothole, B is lucky if they get filled; at least that's the opinion I get and I assume it's a little different depending on the size of the place in B you call home.  So when it gets to be the middle of summer and you (in the states) get tired of seeing the potholes and wonder where the road crews are to fill them,  think of us over here in B!  In fact, it's like a big game of "dodge the hole" when driving.  The holes are not good for vehicles and because of that drivers try not to go over them.  Sometimes it's a real test for my stomach, especially if it's been awhile since I've eaten anything!  Once again I can't generalize.  The amount of money a town or village or city gets depends on the size and number of people that live there.  Let me tell you a difference can be seen in the roads when entering a Municipality (like the townships in the states) that has a bigger town or city.  While we're on the subject, maybe not, let me tell you something that B makes do without.  That would be SALT.  Not the condiment, the ice melter.  People over here, I haven't acquired the skill yet, have mastered the art of "skiing" along on the ice so they don't fall.  Sometimes someone puts the sawdust left after using a chainsaw to cut wood for the stove on the ice and that helps so it's not as  slippery.  Or ashes from the wood stove.  Another reason people in the states (generally speaking) have to be grateful.   It's warming up this week and is very nice outside!  Today the students were playing soccer (futbol) during the breaks at school.  I'm still waiting for the stork though!  Love and hugs and continued thoughts and prayers for Japan.  I just remembered I was going to put pictures of my weekend up!  tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment