Thursday, March 3, 2011

March 3

I'm writing this blog kinda late because it's a day off (in theory) for me and just hadn't gotten to it till now.  Today is the 3rd of March, the day that Bulgaria celebrates becoming a sovereign, independent country after 500 years under Turkish oppression with the signing of a treaty.  Russia helped B fight and and lost 1000 soldiers for the cause of B's independence.   Because of this there are many monuments in B of Russian soldiers.  It is also a non-working day.  Hresto Botev, Vasel Levske, Todor Kableshkov, and George Benkovske are a few names of B's who are considered symbols of B. liberation.   I also found out (thanks to a book we were given after pst about B traditions and special days) that this is a day to put flowers on the monuments of heros.  Of course I didn't know this because I didn't get around to reading the book till late.  Even then I'm not sure where a monument is around here and I don't think you can get flowers here; I know you can't get fresh ones anyway.  I have to admit I'm not as up on my B history as I should be but did know a little about H.B. and V.L.    Didn't do very much today.  I did some reading, in English, and went on a short walk.  Tomorrow is a non-work day also.  It was snowing when I went on my walk.  The dogs around the building have figured out that I am a friend and now follow me and wait for me to leave the apt.  I even heard whining today which is new.  They are so cute and I hate the fact they don't have homes or someone who looks after them regularly.  I usually have something for them and get an extra loaf of bread when I go grocery shopping.     On that cheery note I'll sign off for today.  Love and hugs!

No comments:

Post a Comment