Monday, February 7, 2011

(baby) I'm the lucky one!

Once again you'll have to excuse me from teaching about B today.  I wrote this over the weekend and just had to share.  So I'm sitting (again this was Friday) on a bus that will take me to a place where I will be a gosti (a guest) for the weekend and it occured to me how lucky I am.  I'm traveling on a bus from place to place IN A FORIEGN COUNTRY.  To do that is a dream for most people!  I get to do it...and not on my dime (directly anyway)!  I'm in a country where, after a couple hours outside in the (not so) cold the 1st thing that is said to me is "come in and have a cup of tea and be in the warmth" (more or less and of course in B).  I'm a Hoosier and Indiana is known for our "hoosier hospitality" but I am humbled quite often by the "Bulgarian hospitality."  I am surrounded by people, in the states too but it's just different, who drop everything when I, or anyone for that matter, goes to visit.  And that's another thing!  I go gosti, I get food, I get served tea, and I get gifts; they put out all that but yet that's all I have to do to make someone's day.  Go visit them.  I'm in a place where the lengths people will go to help someone amazes me!    And I consider myself a helpful person!  For example:  I was asking someone on the street the other day directions and he didn't understand me (go figure!  As hard as I try my American accent is still with me!).  So the 1st guy I asked stopped another guy for me to ask, they talked and then the 1st guy walked me to where I was going.  And how many people can say they love their job??!!??  Of course a volunteering job never works unless a person has an unlimited supply of money or is funded like me.  I have a "job" to do here and I take that very seriously!!!  But part of that job involves going gosti, having people laugh at me (that never happens in the states :) ) while I'm trying to sew,  playing UNO, and traveling!  I have coworkers who would, it seems like anyway, bend over backwards to help me.  I love my job and am SO extremely blessed and lucky to have been given this once in a lifetime opportunity!!  I have to wonder why I was given this amazing chance!  I have said before and know people are getting sick of hearing this from me but it's true.  Living in B for 27 months is no sacrifice for me!!  Maybe that would be a little different in other countries, I don't know.  “Not having access to family and friends in the states?”  Technology is amazing!  I "see" my sister's family in Seattle more now than I did when I lived in the states!  "Different foods than I'm used to?"  Not really; if someone is hungry enough they will eat and I have an awesome family who makes sure I don't forget what Am. food tastes like!  "Needing to learn a different language, not being understood, and being in a new situation with new people?"  I like learning about other cultures and people are people anywhere you go!  As long as I am willing to try, so are they!  Let's not forget learning new skills are good for the brain too.  Believe me!  Being here is no sacrifice.  I miss my family but I miss them anyway; it doesn't matter where I am.    I have a wonderful support system (and a webcam) of family and friends, both here and in the states.  I'm the lucky one!  Love and hugs!

2 comments:

  1. Lisa, you have such a positive attitude. You inspire me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. And yes, I did get the inspiration behind the title of today's blog.

    ReplyDelete