Thursday, February 10, 2011

money, money, money, money,MONEY!

I guess today is as good a day to talk about money as any!  The currency in B is called the Lev, 1 Lev, and Leva, 2+ Leva.   The paper money that is.  The coins are called stootinke.  The leva get progressively bigger as the denominations get bigger.  The denominations are 2, 5, 10, 20, 50, and if there are bigger amounts, and I'm sure there are, I haven't seen them yet.  I'm not holding my breath!  Volunteers don't "rake in the dough" or any dough for that matter!  Anyway the 2 lv(лв) is 11.5 cm's long, or a little longer than 4 in's, and 6.3 cm's wide, or about 2.5 in's.  The  stootinke come in denominations of 1,2,5,10,20,50, and 1 lev.  The coins are also different sizes with the 5 and 10 stookinke being about the same size as out nickle and dime. The 1,2, and 5 are made of bronze, at least they are dark brown, and the rest are silver like our cents. The 1 and 2 stookinke are about 3/4th the size of the penny, the 20 and 50 stookinke between the size of our nickle and quarter, and he 1 lev is a tad bigger than our quarter.  At least that's how I remember them.  I usually give my stookinke to the post office because they hand out the "retirement income" to the retired people and I don't have any right now.  B. has different people from history on the Lev.  Yesterday I talked about a children's book author on the lev.  There is also a prime minister and good politician and people from history that I know of.  To tell you the truth I keep forgetting the exchange rate between dollars and leva so I can't really tell you if things are that much more expensive or not.  When I was in Italy over Christmas in the airport there was a donation case and there were some American dollars inside and they looked SO FUNNY!  It's really interesting what we get used to.  Today continued the warmup although not as warm as Tuesday.  That's it from here!  Love and hugs from me to all of you!

1 comment:

  1. Lisa, how about a few up close pics of the Bulgarian currency for your readers?

    ReplyDelete