Wednesday, February 23, 2011

senioritis

There's a word we use in the states for high school students in the last year of h.s. who think they are done working.  They're the top in the school and set to graduate within the year, they're done working. RIGHT?????  WRONG!!!!!  We in the states say these seniors have senioritis.  It's a "sickness" that happens in the last year of h.s.  The brain shuts down and work isn't really possible.  It occurs because the hardest of the work is over and graduation can't come fast enough.  That's the common thought among Seniors and it affects, dare I say, ALL Seniors; some people just handle it better.  I had it my senior year at North Central.  The 12th class here has it!  Anyway just like our seniors in the states have to take the SAT to graduate (I've forgotten when.  I want to say the Junior year but it's been awhile) the seniors here also have to take a test to graduate and theirs is called the Matura.  I've only seen partial copies of tests that have been used in previous years and I'm not really sure how it compares to the SAT.   I do know that there are 2 parts as well.  The first part is about Bulgaria.  I'm not quite sure if that includes things like History or what.  The second part there are 3 test  options: Math, Geography, or English.  2 of our 4 Seniors have opted for Geography, 1 for English, and I'm not sure about the other one-he wasn't at school today when I asked.  I have been helping one of the students prepare a little for his English portion and I must say I've been stumped a couple times.  THe grammar part is my favorite!  Right mom??!!????!!!  NOT IN THE LEAST!  I have to thank a TEFL volunteer friend of mine; I've called her several times for explaination and right answers.   There's a part for listening comprehension, reading comprehension, sentence completion, fill in the blank, and an essay I think.  THe test is in May and I wish all the seniors luck!    Now the daily run down.  Went to a couple English classes today.  Tomorrow  is the Kindergarten which means I have to figure out tonight what I am going to do.  When I woke up this morning an looked outside the ground was covered with snow.  It snowed yesterday but not much and it was warm enough it melted.  Last night it must've snowed more and continued on and off during the day today.  I'm guessing we have maybe about an inch to inch and a half.  Today for lunch we had fish, beans, and cabbage.  Of course our lentil soup started it off and lunch finished with an apple.  Kinda expecting leftovers tonight but we'll see!

No comments:

Post a Comment