Tuesday, February 15, 2011

I have a letter!

Sorry about not blogging this past Fri or yesterday!  I left right after lunch on Fri for a get-together with other volunteers and was very tired yesterday and had to take a nap so I didn't get around to it.  For the first time I actually rested during my “pochievka!”  I thought I’d tell you a little about the post office since I just came from there; thank you Masts and Aunt Sue!  As you can imagine I’m sure the post office here is a little different than the post office in Indianapolis.  First of all the one here is a whole lot smaller.  There are 2 “full time” ladies and a “part time” lady who work there.  In addition to getting mail, the post office is also a place to pay for your power/electricity or tok (ток).  However I pay my principal who pays my landlord but I think everyone else pays at the post office.  Then from the 7th until the 20th (I think these dates are correct) the retired people get their pensions from the post office.  You can tell when it’s time because the line is super long and you can hardly walk through the post office hallway!  When I first got here and was unsure about my bill for power I went to the post office to see if I had a bill.  I stood in line (it just happened to be between those dates) for awhile.  Then I realized most everyone around me in line was an older person and maybe this was the wrong line.  I asked a couple people in line and, because of my American accent and the fact that they spoke primarily Turkish, no one understood me.  Finally after trying the same question several different ways (and having no luck) I remembered the word for retired people and said that.  I got a chorus of shaking heads saying (remember B is different.  Their head movement up and down is no and a head shake left and right is yes.  I actually had to think about that for awhile; another thi ng I never thought I’d get used to!) yes.   So I got out of line and walked right into the post office.  Kinda funny.  In addition to letters and packages, newspapers also go to the post office.  Even since I first got here the ladies in the post office and I have an understanding.  When I have something at the p.o., which is quite frequently thanks to all of you, the ladies “click” me, meaning they call my phone and hang up.  Since phone calls are very expensive (you only get changed if someone answers) and I know what they want when they call, I don’t answer.   I click them back, so they know I got the message, and head to the p.o.   I usually end up chatting for awhile which is good for me.  If I get a package they are the first recipients of my treats.  I like going there.  In addition to getting my mail when I go there they help me with new words and speaking.  Now onto my day.  I’m waiting for the census to come any day now.  I‘m down to 1 day a week in the kindergarten now which I must say is bad for my Bulgarian.  However, I’m not here so I can learn perfect B, I’m here to do what they need and work with them.  This just means I have to find other outlets to speak!  I had my B lesson today and my tutor said I have to learn more words and speak more.  Guess I’m not doing too great with the flash cards!  Oh well!  I’ve got at least another 1.5 or so years!  Love and hugs and thanks for keeping the p.o. ladies busy!

No comments:

Post a Comment