Wednesday, February 9, 2011

books

Once a month I write a letter to 1 of my previous places of employment for the World Wise Schools program.  Their theme this month revolves around books and I thought I'd share with you all.  There are Fairy Tale characters over here too; their pictures decorate the Kindergarden rooms.  Some are the same characters as we have in the states and some are different.  A few months after I got here I was talking to the 11th graders and they were asking questions about language.  I told them that I speak English with the students from the E.S. but Bulgarian with everyone else, well except for the English teachers who want me to speak with them in E and anyone else I run across who wants to use their English.  ne of the students said she was going to bring me some books to practice my B.  I was surprised when I opened the bag she gave me!  There inside were the Fairy Tale books Three Billy Goats Gruff, The Ugly Duckling, Puss in Boots (i'll have to refresh my memory on that one), Hansel and Gretel, The Gingerbread Man, Goldilocks and the Three Bears, and The Three Little Pigs.   I finished Goldilocks over the weekend and now am reading The Three Little Pigs.   Of course the titles are in B and that is kind of funny for me to see.  A character that they have here suprisingly is named after me!  Either that or I am named after her, or the best guess is that our names have nothing to do with each other; I just like to pretend!  Kuma Lisa (if that is even how it's name is spelled) is a fox, kinda like swiper for all my readers who have little children, but a good fox who doesn't try to "swipe" things from others (hense the name "swiper").  I guess Kuma Lisa (I'll keep that spelling-makes me feel important!) is like an Aunt or God-mother figure; isn't THAT ironic (I became an Aunt for the 3rd time this past Jan. 27th for all those of you saying "why is that ironic?)!   You know how the dollar bill has pictures of the presidents?  In B ( didn't ask about presidents) on the lev (leva for plural) there is the picture of a man who wrote children's books.  (stay tuned for a blog about the money; can't promise when though!)  Like in the states there are well-known authors, one of the better known authors here is Ivan Vazov, or иван ваэов.  I bought a book of his over the weekend however think it will be some time before I start reading it; I'll stick to my Fairy Tales right now!  It is harder for me to read in B than it is to speak or write, but I'm working (SLOWLY) on it.  This week the weather is suprisingly like Spring!  I wish I could send some to you all but Mother Nature doesn't work that way.  That's it from here!  Have a happy day!  Love and hugs!

No comments:

Post a Comment