Monday, September 5, 2011

bubble days

It's a little later than I normally write but "you get what you get and you don't throw a fit!"  I've tried to translate that into B so many times but it just doesn't come to me; I need to sit down and figure it out.  Today is a non-work day because tomorrow is a holiday.  Strange you may say or just an excuse for a day off.  When I think about it I really like the idea but don't think it would go over too well in the states.  Tuesday is a non-working day; it's a holiday (more on that tomorrow).  Who wants to end the weekend by going to work on Monday just to turn around and not working on Tuesday?  It's a little pointless and quite frankly, kinda a waste (my opinion).  So when a holiday falls on a Tuesday or Thursday, and maybe even Wednesdays but I'm less certain about that, Mondays and Fridays are also non-working days.  However the Monday or Friday non-working and non holiday days are made up the previous or following Saturday.   So today and tomorrow are non-school, for teachers-the students don't start until the 15th, and non-working days for everyone but to make up today (non-holiday) everyone worked this past Saturday.   I know France does this too because my sister told me in France they call these days(days like today that are off but not holidays) “bubble days,” at least I think that’s what she told me.  Of course no one is thrilled about working or going to school on a Saturday but you get used to it.  They have a good plan for illneses too.  If a certain % of students in a region have, for example, the flu, the Ministry of Education calls off school and childcare for that region for a certain amount of time.  I know I go to work when I don’t feel the best or just have a little cold (I‘m talking in the states) and then I have the potential to spread my germs and make others sick, which only makes things worse.  If I don’t have the option to go to work and parents don’t have the option of sending their children to school/childcare when something is going around, all the better.  Of course then a whole different set of problems arise, like what to do with your child while the parent is at work, that need attenton.  Of course the students could care less; they get to stay home from school, and I think the teachers think the same in that they get a break from their students!  Anyway, this is how it’s done here and I think both are nice ideas.  Again, just my opinion!  Love and hugs from here!!

No comments:

Post a Comment