Monday, September 12, 2011

worth it?

The idea for this blog came from a letter I got from my mom today.   She was telling me how everyone always asks her about me, am glad I joined the pc, and if I feel like what I'm doing is worthwhile.  First of all let me thank all of you who I know and don't know who are asking about me, thinking about me, and praying for me!!  I really believe I couldn't do this if it weren't for you all!  The support I get is just awesome!!  I know there are people who pray for me and support me that I don't even know and for that I say a big thanks!  You all have a big part in whether I feel what I am doing is worthwhile.  My blog is helping to meet the 3rd goal of the corps:  "Helping promote a better understanding of other peoples on the part of Americans."  By all of you reading my blog you become more immersed in the B culture and learn more about B's.  Just because I am who I am I will probably always feel like I can do more.  A short story kinda to this point.  I was sitting down with my neighbors the other day, maybe 2 weeks ago, and they asked me if I would forget them when I leave.  I said "no" and then to further illustrate my point more I asked them if they would forget me.  Before I could even finish the sentence they all nodded and said "no!"  I said "see, you guys are my family over here; how can someone forget their family??"  I will admit that sometimes when I'm sitting in the teachers lounge at work and not doing much of anything I can't help but think "why am I at school when I'm not doing anything?"  But it's then when I have to stop myself from thinking that way and tell myself that I am doing something, even if I don't feel like I am.  I'm practicing my language and learning about B culture.  By me being there I'm helping meet the 2nd goal: "Helping promote a better understanding of Americans on the part of Bulgarians."  Everytime I get a letter or new pictures or a package I either tell my collegues the latest story about my niece deciding she didn't want to go to school, share new pictures, or share treats from my packages.  I took the little wind-up bunny my aunts sent me to school and watched the teachers play with it.  The recordable card with my aunt's voice on it was a big hit!  There's also the English classes I go to and the students who know English better because they get to practice outside of class (the credit goes to them).   There will always be stuff I should do!  What I have to focus on is the more intangible stuff, the relationships that I build with people.  One of my favorie sayings that I'm not sure where came from is "build people, not monuments."  That's how I see my job!  As for am I glad I joined the corps?  YOU BET!!  From the first bus ride from Phili to New York to catch our plane here by way of Munich I was so impressed with the people I would spend the next 27 months of my life with (sorry English teachers).  It was so refreshing for me to see 80+ people so eager to lend a hand!  It kind of restores your faith in people, kind of like the line to give blood instead of the line to get gas did after 9/11.  I have met people who will be lifelong friends, both B's and Americans.  I wish that everyone had the chance to travel at least once in their life.  I think everyone should be exposed to another way of life, another culture.  We have so much to learn from each other no matter which country we're from!  I'm enjoying myself!  The ''American "in me will always think I could and should be doing more!  The truth is, just being over here is 3/4th the battle!  Love and hugs from me!  And GO FEVER!!

No comments:

Post a Comment