Thursday, September 1, 2011

my visit to the mosque

Sorry about yesterday!  I was talking to one of the English school students on skype and they told me to come gosti to their house.  By the time I got back it was later and other things got in the way!  I'm very excited for this blog though!  Last Friday I went to the Jimea (or Mosque.  Nargis even told me another name but I forgot) and had a wonderful time!  I have to admit I thought I was going for the Friday "service" {Christians have church on Sunday and Muslims have their service (that's what I'm going to call it for the blog) on Friday} but it didn't turn out that way.  The lady who took me with her cleans the mosque and took me along while she and a few other women cleaned.  She explained things to me.  I have to back up.  Knowing I'm going into a mosque I know the longer the clothing the better.  It was also hotter than all get-out.  Do I wear a (longer) short sleeved shirt with words for Jesus and God on the back in the shape of a cross and walk into a mosque with God and Jesus images on myself (highly visable) or do I wear a plain (much shorter) sleeved t-shirt?   I chose the longer sleeved t-shirt with words in the shape of a cross on the back much to the shugrin of another volunteer friend I was telling about my day.  She, my friend Nevrea,  showed me the prayer beads; beaded necklaces used to pray and each bead represents a wish.  So here I am in this holy place in a different country and a different religion from my own, being careful what I touched, what foot I used to enter with, the right, and treating everything with kid gloves (very carefully).  I'm sure a little part of my friend, Nevrea, and the other ladies we were with were looking at me and saying to themselves "why is she being this hesitant with everything and treating everything like a prized posession?"  Let's face it, if someone wanted me to show them around my church in the states and handled everything SUPER carefully and was SO impressed by everything I would be thinking "come on, it's just a church!"  After she showed me the prayer beads she asked me if I wanted some (I have to admit from the first time I saw them I wanted some) and I said "I can?" and she told me I could and brought all of them over so I could choose.  She showed me this one with the name of Muhhamad on top and a name symbol on all the other beads and told me this was the original one.  I told her if that one was the original, not really quite sure what that means here, I did not want that one and she told me I could if I wanted.  So that's the one I choose.  After we were done there she asked me if I wanted to hear women reading and I said I did if it was possible.  She took me to the smaller mosque, shoes come off when entering, where 13 Muslim babas were reading from the Quran.  W read left to right, they read right to left.  They kinda sang/chanted it.  When they got to a stopping point they motioned for us to join their circle and we did.  Since the language that was spoked was Turkish Nevrea had to translate for me.  I went around the circle and shook hands and introduced myself.  While I was doing that they were reaching into their bags and throwing wafers to the spot where I was to sit.  We listened some more and then left.  I thanked them and told them how interesting it was and, of course, was invited back.  One baba did speak to me in B and she asked me why I was here, if I was alone, if I believed, and other things I can't remember now.  I have assurances from several people that they will include me when they go to the mosque but we'll see.  Since school will be starting shortly I'm not sure how much more during the week I'll be able to go visit but I look forward to it!  Prayers are out East with all the flooding and people who lost family memebers and/or their belongings!  Love and hugs from here!

No comments:

Post a Comment