Monday, July 26, 2010

a new "home"

















my apt is starting to feel a little more like mine!  today I went to Pyce with Nargis and Mr. Yakob, my counterpart and the director of the English School, to get some things cleared up about my residential status and while there got some needed items for my apt.  i got some towels for the bathroom, hangers for my clothes, and other things i can't remember now.  towels and hangers may not seem like much but any little thing i get makes the apt a little more mine.  that and now my shirts are not laying over my table any more!  after we got back Nargis took me to a shop to get some more items on my list.  i now have an iron and a toaster, a mop,flip flops and slippers for the apt and some cleaning supplies (mom you would be SO proud of me!).  of course i still need little things and when i get my fridge that will help things a little more.  peaking of that, a lot of people over here don't have a fridge.  ok so i guess i can't say a lot but Nargis doesn't.  you shop for the meal.  anyway let me describe my new home.  i don't have a tape measure or way to get an accurate "size" so everything is measured by my feet.  i'm 5 ft. 4 in's tall.  i have a main room that is 18 ft wide by 22.5 ft. long.  in the main room i have a twin size bed in one corner, a desk in the other, a couch in the other, and a table in the other complete with a microwave that functions like a small oven I think and a hot plate.  i have a tv, i found the english channels and found er and csi on tv one time but it's really not the same in B, on the wall beside my bed and a small dining room table in front of the couch.  i also have a small entry, 8 ft long by 9 ft. wide, where i get ready in the am.  off the entry i have a bathroom complete with a toilet and shower that is 7 ft wide by 8 ft long.  now when i say i have a shower i mean i have a handheld and a drain in the floor.  i do have an attachment on the wall for the handheld which is nice.  and when i say i have a drain in the floor i mean that most everything in the bathroom gets wet when i take a shower.  it's small but that just makes it better during winter since heating is a problem (no central heating).  i still have things to put away yet to unclutter the place but it's becoming more "homey."  one of the first things i did was set up my "back home" section right by my bed.  oh yeah, i have a balcony which will come in really handy for drying my clothes!  my front door and balcony are enclosed with iron bars and makes me feel a little like I'm in prison!  but on the bright side i can leave my windows open at night a know no one can get in. i really have to wonder what the other people who live here think seeing my iron bars and all.   i had a baba ring my doorbell the other night and, it was kinda late-i wouldn't have opened the door in the States, and opened the door even thought i didn't recognize the voice outside b/c with that iron gate, who can get in??  i just thought about taking some pictures and think i'll try to do that.  love you all!  working on my address!

2 comments:

  1. For a Peace Corps volunteer, you have a nice living arrangement. Be glad you have electricity, running water, and no sandstorms to contend with. It looks like you are on your way in making your apartment into a home for the next two years.

    ReplyDelete
  2. and a TV with CSI! OMG Lisa you are spoiled :)
    Sophie

    ReplyDelete