Thursday, July 29, 2010

turns out the walk was getting into the car and going to their garden to punny how that works. ick their vegetables

I went for the first time, not counting Nargis and her family,na ghosti, visiting neighbors, last evening and ended up with a watermelon, a melon, several peppers, and a small cucumber!  I went to my neighbors doors on my floor but no one was home so I went upstairs.  i was going to return a plate that Nargis gave me some fish on but saw a little Turkish baba in the hall and said hello.  she didn't understand and went to get her daughter who spoke B and then she took my arm and i was inside having a Turkish treat and soda just like that!  she asked me if i wanted to go on a walk for maybe 30 minutes and since I'm new here i figured i might as well (i really don't know how i could have said no anyway!)  turns out going on a walk was getting into the car and driving to their garden and helping them pick their vegetables which was just fine by me!  and you wouldn't believe the things these "old" women do!  she had a sack full of vegetables and when it was time to go slung that thing over her shoulder like Santa and his presents and trudged all the way to the car!  when i offered to help her carry that big sack she only turned and started walking.  here i was with 2 tomatoes and maybe a small melon and the 2 ladies older than i had their hands full but would not let me help and more!  then gave me tea and more treats at their home and gave me a bag on vegetables and a bag of fruit when i left!  i have figured out that most of the babas in my building only speak Turkish.  can you believe it when i say i'm acually more comfortable with B?   s funny how that works.  tom the wife of the head of the Muslims in B is coming to see me.  Don't I feel special!!  'I'm going to give her my Indiana pendant; that's about the only thing I have of the States left.  as for what i'm doing i'm kinda in limbo right now.  i'm between my residential status bieng ok'ed and actually applying for my Lichna Carta which is the legal document i have to have to be here.  kinda like the drivers license.  oh I almost forgot the most ironic thing of all!  how ironic is it that i come to B and at least 2 times a day see big farm equipment driving down the street!  i had to laugh when i saw a piece of equipment with JOHN DEERE down the side of it!  i got some more things to make me feel more at home today.  the call to prayer was about 2 min's ago and i can ell you right now that's something i'm definitely going to miss after i leave!  well it's getting late and i have a big day ahead of me tom!  Do Utre!  lisa

No comments:

Post a Comment