Tuesday, April 26, 2011

almost a milestone!

It's later then I usually do my blog and I want to try to get to bed a little earlier.  When I say that in the states it never happens and I don't know what makes me think it will happen in B.  Once again I'm kinda at a loss for what to write.  I'm over (knock on wood) my cold but several of the teachers I work with are getting colds too.  Before I forget I will not be here Thurs pm or Fri and so may not blog.  Who knows, I just might.  I have my mid-service (strange isn't it??!!) Dr's appts. It hardly seems like it's been almost (16 days) 1 year since I've been in B!  I've been telling people it's like the first year is spent building trust, integrating, and figuring out what to do, what to focus on.  By the time that's done a year has gone by and you look at all you want to do and say "my gosh!  I only have a year to do all this?!"  I really find it hard to believe it's been a year; time has gone so incredibly fast!  Part of me looks back and sees all that has been accomplished this past year and I am in awe.  The other part of me thinks of all that as just a beginning and a good foundation; the second year is for the "REAL" work!!  If you would have told me a year ago I would be able to travel a foreign country alone, have a good handle on another language, be imersed in another culture I would have looked at you like you were crazy!!  I had no idea really what to expect when I boarded the plane to meet 86 other people wanting to be in the same boat as me a year ago!  I will say though, having an organization like the Peace Corps behind me settled my nerves a little!  When you think about it, and I do remember having this thought several times during pst, people are just people wherever you go.  I choose to focus on the good.  What it all boils down to is this...everybody has the same basic needs.  To some extent you will be understood, language aside.  People are just people.  Love and hugs!  Thinking of my sis' family in their hunting!

1 comment:

  1. When I was in France a year seemed like a lifetime, but from this side of things, the year has gone by quickly. Savor every minute and enjoy it all, good and bad. love you and i'm so proud of you!

    ReplyDelete