Thursday, April 14, 2011

Ladies first!

 I noticed something last night during game night.   The stol only has 33 chairs so some(4) people were standing.  2 female students came in about 7:30 after we had been playing quarters for awhile; this was one of my favorite games to play with the students at my old job in the states.  Anyway while I was tring to think of what to do, start a game on the floor or something else that hopefully would have come to my mind, I noticed 2 of the male students got out of their chairs so the young ladies could sit down.  Then this morning when I was walking to the 8th grade Literature class I waited for one of the male students who was not far behind me.  When we got to the gated door to the school he opened it and then moved aside for me to go in first.   Shivalry, what a novel idea!  I have to say it's nice to see that kind of respect, especially from young men!  Once again I think the states, or at least what I've seen in Indiana, could take a lesson or 2 from these young men!  I think the whole reverance for babas (grandmothers) says a lot about this culture!  I've said before that if you need anything you go to a baba.  If someone is bothering you, you go sit by a baba and that will solve your problem.  If you are lost in the airport in Rome (gee, I think that happned to me!) and unsure where to go or even who to ask, ask a baba.  Grandparents are much more "important" in the B culture, generally speaking, then in the American culture, again generally speaking.   I think babas have the hardest jobs followed closely by maikas, or mothers.  Thinking back to when I first got here and set foot in a classroom, the students stood when I entered the room.  They also stand for guests and their teachers.  I must admit that's nice to see although I'm not sure how much it happens for the teachers anymore; the students are usually standing anyway when the teachers get to their rooms.  I appreciate the politeness, sense of shivalry I've seen thus far in this culture!  Now granted I've only seen a small portion of their culture and a small portion of the place I call home but I'm still impressed!  One more thing if you'll allow me to toot my own horn for a brief moment.  I went to a SIP class, special classes held in the afternoon-yesterday we did English vocabulary with the 8th grade, yesterday with counterpart and a couple seconds afer I walked in the class, 23 students, started chanting "Lisa, Lisa," and on and on.  Not quite sure what I did to deserve that but it made me feel good; I like that class!  Love and hugs!

No comments:

Post a Comment