Friday, April 22, 2011

Earth Day

You know how it is when you do something wrong and someone catches you?  Well the same feeling of, hopefully, embarrasment a person feels for getting "caught in the act" is equal to the sense of pride one feels when getting "caught" doing something nice.   I just happen to have the perfect example of this!  My kids organized a trip to the woods today for about 10 students from the 8th grade.  We met others along the way.  Being Earth Day and all I figured I'd take my bags and pick up garbage along the way and in the park.  I have to admit it was mostly me, I don't mind doing it at all, but the students did help every once in awhile.  For the times they did, I'm grateful.  On a whole it was kinda like pulling teeth to get them to care about Earth Day and help actually pick up trash.  I do have to give them credit though, they did help and every litttle bit counts.  There were times when I had to be firm and say "no, I'm not going to stop" and stand firm about why I was picking up trash and all.  So, we're walking back home with the bags that we were filling up on the way when all of a sudden who should appear?  Someone who works in the governmental building of our municipality, kind of like a township.  Anyway, an "important" person.  He stopped, he had a car full of people, and talked to the students about what we were doing and our efforts for Earth Day.  Now granted I did not understand everything he said but the gist of what he said was "good job" and "you should tell your Mayor" and things like that.  The students told me he invited us to come and have lunch on him!  One time, I did hear a chuckle in the car from a lady, the guy asked me a question and one of my students started speaking for me.  I put my hand on my students shoulder and calmly said "can I answer?"  I didn't really say answer but it was implied.  Anyway  I couldn't have planned it any better!!    The reason to do something nice and helpful, at least in my book, isn't because someone might see you and then you'll get recognition, but it's sure a great motivating factor.  After the car left and told my kids"see what happens when you do good things?  People see you and recognize your good works and are appreciative!"  The 8th grader who did most of the talking to the carfull of people, and was one of the least receptive of the whole "picking up trash" thing, smiled and sounded excited that our efforts were recognized.   I hope they remember this situation.

No comments:

Post a Comment