Monday, April 18, 2011

teachers

"Gospozha" or "Gospozho” is what all the female teachers are called.  Literally that means “lady” or “madam.”   “Gospoden” is what a male teacher is called and that means “mister.”  Coming from a place where “Mr. Allen” or “Ms. Jackson”  is how teachers are referred to after Kindergarten age (I’m guessing here) it was a little difficult for me to understand this.  When students ask a question in class they address the teacher with “Gospozho” (or some other form of the word) and then ask their question.  That is the only word they use; there are no other names said.  So you can imagine how confused I was, and still am, when students would come to the teachers room, stick their head in and say “Gospozho?” to a staffroom full of 5 teachers.  Now of course, as has happened only a handful of times, if the student is speaking English I can be pretty certain they’re talking to me.  Even the way I was first introduced to my collegues was different to me.  In the states when I worked with Kindergarten and under I was “Ms. Lisa.”  When I worked in a school I was “Ms. Miller” and I think that is still how it is in schools, Ms. or Mr. and your last name.  Actually no, now that I think about it I was introduced to everyone with a Mr. or Ms. in front but followed by their first names.  However, when one of the teachers wants to get the attention of another teacher they call each other by their last names.  I know most of my coworkers by their last names and call them by their last names.  Now that I actually stop and think I guess it’s about half and half.  When I was having a B lesson one day my teacher let me know that “Mr.” followed by their first name or “Ms.” followed by their first name isn’t appropriate.   I have to admit the “Gospozho” to a room full of female teachers still confuses me but it’s been this way and will continue to be so I have to get used to it.  It’s just a little different.  I’m helping some of the 8th graders put on a mini-skit for the 9th of May which is the European Day I think but I’ll have to find out more.  They are also reciting the poem “...If you think you’re outclassed, you are...You’ve got to think high to win the prize...”   I can't remember th name of this poem but it's so inspirational and true!   I hope they take this to heart because it is so true!  Love and hugs!

No comments:

Post a Comment