Friday, April 1, 2011

newbies

Yesterday, 2 days ago now, a new group of trainees arrived in Sofia.  I did not go to meet them at the airport but know people who did and was very happy to be greeted by volunteers when I arrived.  I can't help but think how I felt in their shoes when I was coming over in May 2010, almost a year ago-how can that be?!!  I felt so little and almost helpless but ready to start my "job" with (then) 86 other trainees.  This week was like a blur!  We had interviews with our program staff (youth development staff for me), elementary language lessons, lessons on safety, B. culture, history, anything else that we would need to know about living here, shots and medical exams/interviews, as well as getting to know the people who would become our lifelines and support system for the next 27 months.  So when I say it was a blur, I mean it was a blur!  We got our language books, 3 of them, english/Bulgarian dictionary, and blue pst binder.  On Sat night they will find out, if it's the same schedule I had, where they will spend the next 10 or so weeks and who from their group will be with them.  If this isn't stressful enough on Sunday they will meet their "family" they will be living with for the next 10 weeks.  I remember my first interview with my program staff, who I am so familiar with now and wouldn't hesitate to call for any little thing, I was so nervous!  IT all seems like such a long time ago and went by so fast!  I remember on the bus from the airport to where we stayed that first week I sat beside Bao, someone in my training group that I knew a little better.  It's funny to think of how much better I know her now and how very little I knew her then.  At that time the 87 of us had been together for an overnight in Phili, a bus ride to Newark, and 2 LONG airplane rides, plus layovers.  It's amazing to think what you can do when forced to do it.  I remember blogging about this before but the 87 of us had no choice but to get along and get to know each other!  We knew from that first overnight in Phili we were going to have to be each others "American" family in B, each others support system.  I remember being overwhelmed with the feeling of being a part of this group of 87, the B26s, and how impressed I was with my group who I felt, and it's no different now, really wanted to make a grassroots difference in B.  Now as I see things others are doing for this country and read on our weekly newsletter the happenings and things other volunteers are developing I can't help but compare myself to others and say "gee, I'm not doing anything cool like that" or "good idea, why didn't I think of that?"  However, after I realize I can't compare myself to others and remind myself that it's a team effort, I am very proud of what we are doing here!!I I was talking to my counterpart the other night about what I want to get done, me leaving (it's right there in the back of everyones minds), and what has been done.  For me, and I don't think it's that different for other volunteers but I won't speak for them, the first year is spent integrating, getting to know the community and gain their trust, figuring out who you can ask to get certain things done, figuring out WHAT needs to be done.  By the time you figure all that out the first year is behind you and you only have a year left and I can't help but think "I want to do all this and I only have a year?"  I should say "we" because I can't do it alone, I will be working every step of the way with local people.  Anyway this has turned into a very fun blog for me and will be my subject for Monday's as well but I have to sign off now to go have a little Spring Break with good friends who I have only known for 11 months and a big chunk of that time has been spent apart!  Funny how that works huh??!!  Love and hugs and still have yet to see a stork!

No comments:

Post a Comment