Tuesday, April 19, 2011

breakthrough!

I consider myself to be a friendly person.  I can be a little shy when I first meet people but open up when I know a person and then sometimes you can't get me to be quiet!  That's why, when I first got to B and was taking a walk with my sister, I was confused when she told me that here if a person doesn't know the person they see walking towards them in the street they don't say hello.  Now there are VERY few B things I just dismiss (after all I am here) and decide not to follow, but that was one I must say.  Of course in the states I don't greet everyone on the street!  But if I happen to be walking in close proximity to a person I will say "hi" or some kind of greeting.  After doing this for awhile I got used to not hearing anything back and at first it bothered me a little.  So when I got to my permanent home I kept saying "hello", "good morning", or other forms of greetings.  Sometimes I would wave.  Over time I forgot to even listen for a comeback greeting; it wasn't about that anymore it was about just being friendly and showing my face around my new home.  Over time I heard "good morning" back (sometimes in English by those who wanted to show me they know a little English) or other greetings.  HOWEVER, the morning this all changed for me was the morning after a coworker stayed with me and I accompanied her to the bus stop.  My coworker lives in another town so isn't seen that much around my place.  We got to the bus stop and before I knew it this lady looked at me and said "good morning" and I hadn't said a thing.  Of course all this is in B.  I could not believe it!  A little while later this older man rode by on his bike and waved.  I could not believe my eyes and ears!!   Maybe you are reading this and thinking "what's the big deal?" or "sure they would say good morning."  Now I don't mean to come across as B's are rude and don't talk, totally not the case!  This, my greetings, was something I was told was new and just not done.  I skyped my friend and told her all about it right after I got home from putting my friend on her bus.  Again this may sound like something very little but I took it as a "yea!  Maybe I'm rubbing off!"   It's been drizzling on and off most of the day and (knock on wood) I think it may have stopped!  Today we laminated the flashcards and lots of the teachers took a turn.  I think they really enjoyed it !  The Principal even came in the room while we were laminating and watched for awhile.  Totally off subject but I have to comment on the lawnmower I hear outside right now.  Now if that doesn't take my mind to the states nothing will!!  Love and hugs!

No comments:

Post a Comment