Tuesday, April 12, 2011

cheers!

Alright...Most of you guys know by now of a potent drink over here called Rakeya.  It's usually homemade, or at least the times I've had it it usually was, from pretty much any kind of fruit.  For special occasions, or not even special-just an occasion, rakeya is served.  There is always something to eat with rakea, usually this is a salad with tomatos, cuccumbers, serine.  The one thing I've noticed is that the B. people are very good about not drinking and driving and not drinking on an empty stomach.  I happen to think the states could take a lesson or 2 from  them!     So when everyone is sitting down and ready to eat there is a toast.  Anytime there is any type of alcohol there is a toast.  Here the toast is "nzdrave!"  The most important thing when toasting is to look the person in the eye who you're toasting.  Sometimes this can make a person dizzy depending on how many people are toasting and how much a person has had to drink.  I'm not exactly sure what happens if you don't look a person in the eye but the volunteers were warned from day 1 that you look people in the eyes when toasting.  Of course everyone clinks everyone elses glass and there is the "nzdrave!" instead of "cheers" like we do in the states.  IF you happen not to be drinking alcohol you don't toast.  I have to admit I've seen this both ways but on the whole if you're not drinking alcohol you don't "nzdrave!"   I have to say I kind of like the idea of looking people in the eyes when making a toast and clinking the glasses.  I'll see what more information I can dig up on this and fill in some of the blanks.  But for now that's it from here!  Love and hugs!!

1 comment:

  1. So what happens if volunteers refuse to drink alcohol in social situations with other Bulgarians? I am sure there are some PCV's who don't drink for religious reasons or may be a recovering alcoholic. Are Bulgarians offended if someone refuses to drink alcohol? I'm just curious.

    ReplyDelete