Tuesday, January 18, 2011

favorites

The theme for the month of January where I used to work in the states is "favorite things."  I'm GOING TO be better at communicating with them so I can expose them to a little part of my corner of the world right now.  So I asked some coworkers at school today what is their favorite thing to do or whatever and decided I will share with all of you too!  Now one might think that this being B and the states being America the favorite things to do might be a different.  Why wouldn't they you ask?  After all, if one's hardly heard of Bulgaria, and I'm poking fun at myself  here pre-Peace Corps, how can it be fun or have the same things we do in the states?  Let me tell you there's not one thing on my list that we don't do in the states!  One of the first answers I got to my favorite question was "surfing the net."  I think we can all agree people like that (sometimes) too much in the states!  Women here LOVE to sew!!  Sewing is kind of a lost art in the states it seems.  In fact it's almost like if you're a woman and you don't sew here there must be something wrong!   And yes I can hear the questions now and I can say that just today I told one of my coworkers I need to learn how.  Who would have thunk (for Bulgarian people reading this thunk is not a word. however it's like  a slang term for "never in a million years did I think Lisa would want to learn how to sew! UNBELIEVABLE) it!  I have to digress a bit.  The B word for a picture that has been made by sewing, or actually the kit and everything, is called a "goblin."  Of course different spelling and all but I laugh a little each time I hear that word!  It's not as common to have a car here as in the states but driving is another favorite activity.  That's also a favorite of mine in the states and I'm taking volunteers to ride shotgun with me after my service is over.  Some explaination here:  I can't drive while here and have been told it's not easy to get behind the wheel when service is over and I am able to drive again.  Only brave persons need apply!  Drinking coffee is also big here but with a slight difference from the states.  People in the states can go through cup upon cup .  There is more of an emphasis on drinking with friends here than I see in the states.  It's more of a social thing than a "I need this to stay awake" or "I can't function without my coffee"  kind of thing.   This isn't the best comparison but the only thing I can think of.  In the states people will go out with friends and have a beer; they are a social drinker.  Here you replace the beer with coffee and do that several times a day!  Reading books, going for walks, and playing with the grandkids made my "favorites" list and they are also very much enjoyed in the states.  It's getting late and this is long so I'll sign off!  Love and hugs!!  Thoughts are (still) with my sister's family.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Lisa. I'm not good at this electonic stuff and just tried to send you a note but don't think it went through. It's so much fun reading your blog and you are writing with such confidence and clarity now. It's fun hearing what you are doing, who you are meeting and what comparisons you make to life in B and in the US. You have to be making a wonderful impression and doing a marvelous job. Things are going well here. The past four days I have felt almost human again and much more like myself. I have a blood test tomorrow and then hopefully my second chemo in a week. I'm scheduled for four treatments, three weeks apart. Hurry April! :-) It's grey and rainy in Cinci today but I understand that's what winter is like here. We're waiting for news from Seattle also. Love you.

    ReplyDelete