Friday, January 28, 2011

the flu

The flu has hit Bulgaria!!  Some schools are on "vacation" (1 week vacation) because the majority of their students are sick.  However, my school is still functioning but we were told today by the Principal to watch the news on Monday (because it's the semester break we have Monday off) to see if we have school next week.  You know the feeling you get, or got, when all the schools get a snow day in the states EXCEPT your school?  It's kind of like that at my school and I can say that the teaachers are crossing their fingers for no school next week!  Whereas that doesn't mean a whole lot to me, I work 24/7, it would be nice for the students and the teachers to have a break.  Let's face it, everyone is doing it!  I found out today at lunch that if more than 20% of school kids are sick with the flu the doctors inform the Ministry of Education and then the schools are closed.  I have no idea right now about the kindergarten but my counterpart's daughter goes there and I'm sure I will be informed!  I saw a teacher from the kindergarten last night and when I asked her if I would see her on Tues. and she said maybe we'd have a 1 week vacation because of the flu.  Like I said before it really means little to me whether we have school/kindergarten or not; I'm still working.  Today the 9th class had a birthday party for their teacher, my counterpart.  Originally I was not going to be able to attend because I had class of my own.  THey invited me and really wanted me to go  but I decided not to try to switch my schedule to make it fit.  I could have.  My reason for this decision had to do with the fact that they organized it all by themselves.  THEY took the initiative and THEY put in the effort.  If I remember right initative is one of the reasons we are here; to help with "the spark."  In thinking about it what would asking them to change their plan to a better time for me say to them?  Turns out I popped my head in for a "happy birthday" (they asked me again if I was coming and I had to say I couldn't but promised to stop by if I got a chance) and my counterpart told me to bring my class of 4 to the room; afterall they had been her students once upon a time too.   So that was my day and now I'm off to figure out the next week with the kindergarten!  Love and hugs and WELCOME WYATT ALBERT BELIERES!!

1 comment:

  1. Wow Lisa..glad you are pursuing your dreams...not too many people are brave enough to do so. Stay safe and keep learning....

    ReplyDelete