Monday, January 24, 2011

my grandma

You'll have to excuse me for today because this blog is going to be different.  I'm not going to tell you about something different here or tell you about my day.  I dedicate this blog to my grandma Miller who passed away this past Saturday.  She was 89 years old and suffered from dementia.  I don't know my dad's side of the family that well because they are from the Eastern part of the states and I'm in the middle.  I get my Mennoniteism from his side of the family.  My mom's side is close but not Mennonite(M).  In fact there is a  story about this very thing I have to tell you.  For those of you who don't know M's believe in the simplistic lifestyle.  I am willing to go into details but another time if someone's interested.  Now just like with any religion, anything really, there are various...ok I can't think of how to finish that so let me just say there are some people who are more conservative and some people who are more liberal in their beliefs.  My grandma and grandpa were more on the conservative side and that was kinda hard for my sis and I when we were little.  We'd go visit, no tv.  The story I'm going to tell you has to do with "g" words.  I don't use The Lords name anyway in everyday talk but we were told by dad that ANY "g" word was basically the equivalent and shouldn't be said, at least in front of our grandparents.  The word "gosh", and now "oh boshe," regularly comes out of my mouth and did when I was little too.  So, I was helping my gma make pies.  (Something else that might be helpful...they lived next door to a butcher shop).  ALL of a sudden the kitchen door opens and there stands gma with about 8 cartons of eggs balancing ontop of each other!  The first thing out of my mouth, and sometimes to this day this is still the case, was of course the wrong thing.  I exclaimed "oh my gosh gma!  You sure do have a lot of eggs!"  She stopped and said "what did you say?"  Now I'm not sure if she actually heard what I said or not but I rephrased that thought with something like "you sure do have a lot of eggs!"  My grandpa was gone a lot an I don't think spent much time with her.  I always spent more time with my grandma because I would help her in the kitchen.  My grandparents relationship was more stereotypical, women do the dishes and men earn the money kinda thing, than I was used to and and I thought she deserved some help!  Another thing I just remembered.  Now I've never seen Santa Claus to know if his belly shakes like a bowl full of jelly or not, but I can tell you  my grandma's did!  It was so fun to watch her laugh!  She had a hard life and had to adapt quite a few times in her 89 years and I have to give her credit for that!  They both came all the way from Delaware for my high school graduation and were at my sister's wedding.   She lived a good life and is with Her Maker now (a place she couldn't wait to get to!), looking down at all of us and smiling!!  I just hope somewhere between here and there she met my nephew and told him he's got a lot of people waiting for him on Earth so he better hurry!  Love and hugs!

2 comments:

  1. Bless you, Lisa... What a wonderful remembrance! Love you!

    -Ronni

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry to hear about your Grandma Lisa. Has your sister had your little nephew yet? Hope all are doing well. Mike was telling me about your grandma last night sorry I hadn't checked your Blog for a while. SORRY!!! Actually I don't even check all of my emails that good. Hope your not sick with the flu sounds bad over there. We miss you..... Everyone is always talking about you and wondering how your doing. I guess Peggy and her husband came to the game last night but I didn't see her. We all sent you a letter that Judy started hope you've gotten it. I never got the one you said you sent for me that was suppose to have one for Mike in it. We were talking about that last night because I told him that you had told me that you put his in with mine. I'm off tonight and tomorrow than I work Pacer game Monday night. Tonight is the Rodeo bull roping thing. Tonight & Tomorrow. Tues is volunteer Policeman funereal. Not looking forward to that one. I worked all of last weekend for the Disney on Ice and Wed.,Thurs.,Fri. too. Bet the kids over there would really think we're wasteful here had they seen that mess. Later Girl. Hope all is well with you. Pam

    ReplyDelete