Monday, January 3, 2011

Christmas 2010

Well, back to "work!"  First of all I'm going to explain about my Christmas trip to Italy and then will get back to my regular blogging about new things and all some pictures.  Needless to say my trip was pretty eventful and may not have happened had I not run into someone who spoke English.  The bus I was supposed to take to Sofia to get on the airplane to Naples was broken and I had to go 1 hr kinda out of my way to get a bus to Sofia.  That bus didn't leave from Pyce, where I had to travel to get the bus, until 12:45 pm.  Keep in mind I have a ticket, or my friend I went with had my ticket, for a 6:45 flight out of Sofia and it's a good 51/2 hr. trip.   At this point I'm pretty sure I'm not going to Italy for Christmas.   I even inquired how much it would be to take a taxi from Pyce to Sofia would be.  Quickly that became a non-option.  Meanwhile my friend was already in Sofia waiting for me and running some errands.  I, along with my new best friend Leo, asked the bus driver if I could get off the bus early in Sofia instead of traveling to the other side of town and could they call me a a taxi because I had to be to the airport by 6.  As I'm typing this it all sounds just like clockwork but let me tell you when it was happening, it CERTAINLY wasn't.  I ended up being able to get off the bus early and had a taxi which took me to the airport in no time at all.  My friend, who was to arrive at the airport at 4,  still wasn't there at 5.  Fog plagued the city and everything was in gridlock!  While I was having trouble getting to Sofia she was having trouble getting across Sofia.  I got to the airport about 6 for a 6:45 pm flight that I was assured but someone at the airport, I called from the bus,  was on time.  My friend arrived about 15 minutes ahead of me and had everyone in the check-in line ahead of her wondering if I was ever going to show up!  They let out a big cheer when she said I was there.   She had a bag to check, and had my ticket, so kinda needed to wait on me.  Come to find out our flight was delayed until 7:30 so we actually had time to sit and relax and digest what had happened.  We were safely on the airplane and taxiing when the pilot came on the intercom and said they had just closed the Sofia airport but we could take off since we were on the runway; just wait a minute until things clear up.  I told my friend I was soooo glad we made it on the plane but the fact that we had to wait for conditions to clear up didn't give me the most confidence about our flight!  We got to Rome late and were sure we missed our connecting flight into Naples.  What we didn't remember was we had gained an hour.  We also didn't know our airplane to Naples had not come in yet because it had been delayed.  We didn't miss it!  We ended up getting to Naples at 2 am Christams eve instead of 10 pm the 23rd.  Overlooking the little "glitch" we had getting to Naples I had a wonderful time and even was visited by Santa!  I gorged myself on cheese, had some ice cream, and Dt. Dr. Pepper.  For those who know me better those are my loves!  We went to Pompeii, had full body massages complete with a Turkish bath (I still think it's ironic I had to go to Italy to have a Turkish bath when I'm all around things Turkish!), watched movies and tv shows, drank some Italian wine, had Christmas complete with fireworks and a tree, and had A TON OF FUN!!!  I have to say that was exactly what I needed when I needed it!  THe whole trip was an adventure but I have to say getting there was the biggest hurdle.  At the moment it was happening I was stressed and tense and looking at spending Christmas by myself, which would've been ok too, and certainly nothing to laugh at!  Looking back on it though I have such good memories that I will never forget and would not have happened if I would have been elsewhere!  Ok maybe they could have happened but chances are slim.  It's amazing how something so bad can turn out to make a great memory!  Like Christmas in the train station I will never forget this Christmas!  And the bad things that happened to me only add to the story and make the memories more special!  Pictures will come later, promise!  Love and hugs and I hope everyone has an awesom 2011 wherever you are!

No comments:

Post a Comment