Thursday, January 20, 2011

why I got my new phone

I was emailing a friend last night telling her about things here when it occured to me that I didn't write about my "adventure" when I lost my phone!  At least  I don't think I did; I checked but  apologize if I did already and just didn't see it.  THAT was an adventure!!  It all started because I was having some eye issues and the corps wanted me to see a Dr.  I took the bus and had about 2-3 hrs before my appointment to find the hospital and walk around and chill. LITTLE DID I KNOW!!  It was colder and snowing with snow on the ground, I'm going to say 4-5 inches.  I had gone over directions and everything with my counterpart the evening before and felt pretty confident.  So I got off the bus where I normally do and started the trek to the hospital; I'd relax after I found it.  I had walked for maybe 20-30 minutes when I realized I didn't have my phone!  Now it took me awhile to get a cell phone in the states because I figure if someone needed something it could wait till evening and they could call my landline.  Well here things are a little different.  Our phones are basically our lives!  In the states I know where people live and can jump in the car and go see them.  Not the case here!!  At this point I started wondering where it could be and if I lost it or someone took it.  Since I had been walking basically by myself the whole time I figured I dropped it.   This is where I surprised myself a little...I didn't freak out too much and remained somewhat calm, which is unlike me in those kind of situations.   backtracked and tried to find my phone with no luck.  What I needed to do was call my counterpart and let her know what was going on but the one thing I needed to solve my problem was lost.  Long story a ittle shorter I borrowed the Dr's phone (I figured I should get there since I couldn't call and cancel:) )and called the corps and asked them what to do.  I ended up going to a phone compay store and explained the situation to them.  Once again I'm glad I encountered someone who spoke English because doing all this in B wouldn't have gone well!  I encountered a little problem getting my phone # blocked (believe it or not I had trouble explaining that I did not know anyone in that town and the few people I did know I had #'s for IN MY PHONE!!  I think I should be a little flattered that he didn't believe I was that much of a stranger!)  Then, after I made some calls and felt a little better about things I had the problem of either waiting there and getting a new phone or missing my bus and having to wait 3 hrs for the next on to my town.  ith the help on my counterpart I opted to catch my bus and get to a familiar place.  So after walking a long ways to catch my bus the only reason I caught it was because everything was behind because of the snow!  I just thought of this.  Once again delays come to my rescue!  When I got home I was so incredibly glad to be where I knew people and things were familiar!!!  Once again something kinda bad can make the best memories.  Not fun while it was happening but it is a memory I'll never forget!!  Love and hugs and being pateint.

No comments:

Post a Comment